Punch down connectors

I have a requirement for punchdown connectors for a patch panel in a network wiring application. I can find connectors for cat 5 joining at a price, but can't find a source of strips of punch down connections which would make life easier. I don't want to use solder tagstrips or terminal strips. Any sources/ideas anyone?

Reply to
Capitol

The search term you may be missing is "KRONE"

Reply to
Graham.

I'm not 100% clear on what you're asking for, but Cat 5 is not normally patched with punchdowns, but with RJ45 patch cords.

Cat 3 can be done with punchdowns, but Cat 5 uses 2-4 times as many conductors, and patching those with punchdowns is just not going to be practical. (Could well be that the Cat 5 cable characteristics are also difficult to maintain across punchdowned patch leads too.)

Having said that, if you used Cat 3 Krone punchdown strips and you are running Cat 5 at significantly less than max cable lengths (and maybe at less than gigabit ethernet speeds, which really needs Cat 5e anyway), then you would probably get away with it.

By the way, avoid using copper covered aluminium (CCA) or copper covered steel (CCS) cables - you want solid copper cables for your premises wiring.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

As Graham says, the magic word is Krone.

Do you mean like these

(which won't be cat5 rated), Krone to Screw are also available

or PCB ones like these

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Do you means

or just patch panels like toolsatan sell?

Reply to
dennis

En el artículo , Capitol escribió:

You cannot use "solder tagstrips" or "terminal strips" (by which I assume you mean chocblock) with Cat5 cables and stay within spec. Nowhere near, in fact.

Use the proper accessories for joining Cat5 cable.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Nearly, I need about 50 connection points, but no screw terminals.

Reply to
Capitol

Again nearly but surface mounting.

Reply to
Capitol

It's not cat5 cable! or application.

Reply to
Capitol

dennis

Then Krone strips are really the best bet. 10 pairs per strip, use as many strips as you need. The only problem is mounting them - they mount best in a Krone box or simlar, but there are many sizes to choose from. I use a 10-strip box as a telephone and auxiliary wiring centre.

Reply to
Bob Eager

3 x 20 way krone blocks and suitable backmount frame to mount on the surface of your choice.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Perhaps if you told us what it *is*?

Reply to
Graham.

En el artículo , Graham. escribió:

I think we're meant to use our mind-reading facilities.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Krone strips are too big for the space available unfortunately. Hence my looking for krone format compact strips. I don't really want to use ribbon cable connectors, although they would do the job. Krone CAT couplers can do the job, but are not ideal. When desperate, terminal blocks are the answer I fear.

Reply to
Capitol

48+ wires, mixed audio, video, logic, power, junction/routeing. Punch down is ideal, but space is a problem.
Reply to
Capitol

Box Con 251A or 301 depending

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

I've seen multiple KVM extenders wired over 4pr UTP. All balanced pairs. You need a second cable run if you want sound.

Reply to
Graham.

He says Krone strips are too big.

I have a 301 myself!

Reply to
Bob Eager

110 block and/or strip might be useful to feed into google.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice