Alternatives to Jelly Crimps?

I recently completed a phase of wiring on my pabx telephone and CAT5 network - re-assigning the unused pairs in CAT5 between two buildings for telephone use. This involved popping the brown and blue pairs off each patch panel rear punch down block, and joining them to cables to bring them to a standard Krone 237A telephone disconnect block on my MDF. I used 'Jelly Crimps' (*) which are excellent in that they are IDC so require no stripping of wires, and only need a squeeze with a pair of pliers, but they are bulky and there's not much space behind the panels . For future use are there miniature tubular crimps like the sort you might use on car wiring, but much smaller (24awg) ?

(*) Jelly Crimps:

Andrew Mawson

In article , Andrew Mawson writes

Are you sure it's a good idea running phone service and data over the same cable?

Also, you are aware this will restrict you to 100Mbps ethernet, gigabit won't work over only two pairs?

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

I wouldn't advocate it in a highly focussed commercial environment, but

10Mbps would be fine for me, although it works happily at 100Mbps in practise. In my case it was a necessity as I had a shortage of telephone pairs between the pabx in my office at one end of the farm yard, and the house at the other.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

I don't think there will be any serious problems. Bothe signals are fairly robust. Ringing might screw the data up when it's present just beacuse it's a large signal quite close but otherwise the frequencies used by POTS and 10/100Mbps data don't overlap and the circuits are all balanced.

I wouldn't have delved into the back of the patch panel to break things out but either made up spliter leads to plug into the front or wired spare sockets to do the same and just patched across.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I would have used rj45 splitters on the patch panels so that the wiring was unchanged.

Its also possible to wire a second patch panel below the first and split the cables but its error prone so I wouldn't do it.

Reply to
dennis

I would have used splitters plugged into the front of patch panels, rather than tampering with the structured cabling behind. You can get splitters to feed two 10/100Mbits/s down a 4-pair Cat5, or a network and a phone.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Catch with non-IDC connectors on solid core data cable is potential to put a nick in it whilst stripping it, creating a weakness that snaps sometime after....

Cheers Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

In article , Dave Liquorice writes

OK. When the EIA/TIA 568B spec was drawn up, the blue pair was originally intended for phone/voice, but that was back in the days of

4Mbps Token Ring and 10Mbps ethernet.

The idea was that desktops in commercial environments could have voice and data delivered over one cable. Of course, VOIP and internet telephony has made that idea obsolete.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

In article , Adam Aglionby writes

Jelly crimps are IDC.

The link Andrew gave was cheap - 100 for a fiver. I'd never use up that many, though.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Indeed, but the O.P. asked

". For future use are there miniature tubular crimps like the sort you might use on car wiring, but much smaller (24awg) ? "

Which would require stripping the cable, with attendant risk, just don`t get me started on aluminium cored data cables.

Similar problem with stripping solid core data cables to solder on to face plate connectors, it only takes a little bit of vibration sometimes months down the line.

Cheers Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

Solder and shrink-wrap?

Reply to
Roger Mills

Space and cost precluded that - the splitters are quite pricey (needed 6) and the box lid of the patch panel wouldn't take the 'front bulk'

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

I used 48 in this job alone

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Considered and rejected as with my 2D eyesight I'd be burning the wrong things too often - hard enough poking two wires in a jelly crimp

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

You can get them to fit in-line with three cables.

You might need to make patch cords as they are generally fully wired in parallel. However for one data and one phone per line you would probably just need a RJ45 to phone and a normal patch cord.

About £6 per line.

Reply to
dennis