Where to buy long ( 'double') butt crimp connectors

Butt crimp connectors (the red/blue/yellow ones for joining electrical wires) usually require that both pieces of wire are inserted together before crimping. About 5mm of both wires are then crimped simultaneously.
Does anyone know where you can get longer 'double' crimps, so that that you can crimp one wire only, and then seperately crimp the second wire into the other end?
The crimps would have to be longer than the normal ones, but it should be much easier to get a secure join in awkward situtations.
(And before anyone says, yes I know you have to use proper ratchet action crimping pliers, and yes, I know 'butt crimp' jokes are hilarious.)
Cheers
Steve
Add pictures here
βœ–
Steve wrote:

Sure on that? I do ends individually with a rachet tool.
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title Κble_crimping
--
Adrian C

Add pictures here
βœ–

Hi Adrian,
Looking at your diyfaq reference, the blue crimps in the illustrations are much longer than mine - they're the sort I want! Are these what you use? Where do you get them?
(The crimps I'm using ha are 24mm long. This is made of the two 6mm plastic ends (where the insulation goes in) and the 12mm central part (containing the metal which gets compressed). My crimping pliers have a thickness of 11mm. (Sizes approximate.) I don't see how I could crimp each end separately with this arrangement.)
Cheers
Steve
Add pictures here
βœ–
Steve wrote:

The ones in the picture were one of the cheaper varieties from CPC...
--
Cheers,

John.

βœ–
On Sat, 01 Aug 2009 10:35:58 +0100, Steve wrote:

========================================= I'm not an electrician so I've just checked a couple of connectors, both of which *required* separate crimping at each end. Bought here:
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Cable_Accessories_Index/Crimp_Lugs_and_Tools/index.html
http://tinyurl.com/lkrktw
Cic.
Using Ubuntu Linux
βœ–

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Cable_Accessories_Index/Crimp_Lugs_and_Tools/index.html
Thanks Cic. But these are the ones I've got and are not long enough (the compressible part is 12mm - which holds both wires; my crimping pliers (also from TLC) are about the same thickness, so I have to compress the whole thing in one go.
Steve
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Sat, 01 Aug 2009 11:24:06 +0100, Steve wrote:

========================================= I think you're probably using your crimper too close to the centre of the crimp. The *effective* jaws of the crimper (mine also from TLC) are only about 8mm wide so the outer edge of the tool should be overlapping the outer part of the crimp - close to being in line with the end of the crimp.
My test pieces are almost identical in dimensions with the picture shown by another poster (Bob Minchin) so I think you should try a few more test pieces to get it right.
Cic.
Using Ubuntu Linux
βœ–

. cut> .
I think you have highlighted the source of the problem. The jaws of my crimper (http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/DVDHCR15.html ) are a full 11mm wide, with the same profile all the way across. I will try experimenting with the edge of the tool in-line with, or slightly beyond, the edge of the crimp, as you suggest. Cheers Steve
Add pictures here
βœ–

I've just done some accurate measurements on a blue coupler bought recently from TLC and my crimp tool - which was bought some years ago from the same source - but looks pretty well the same as the one in the picture.
Using a decent digital caliper, the overall length of the crimp is 26.7mm.
Taking one apart, the metal bit is 15.3mm
The actual working part of the jaws on the crimp tool is 7.9mm.
--
*Can atheists get insurance for acts of God? *

βœ–

My crimper looks just like the one illustrated. The important thing about these is that they can only be used one way round.
The end of the connector should be flush with the face of the jaws with the coloured dots. The wire must go in from that side. That means you have to turn the tool over to crimp the other end.
If it is used the other way round it does'nt crimp on the copper at all as the pimple in the jaws for indenting the metal inner of the connector is only on one side. (the opposite side to the colour indicator dots)
Roger R
Add pictures here
βœ–
Apologies for the triplicate posts. (I'm not trying to emphasise my contribution)
My posts normally send ok but on occasion OE gives the message 'failed to send the message' with a red dot in the dialogue box and something about failed to connect/find server.
However, it has in fact posted the message, but the message remains in the outbox and each subsequent time the account is 'syncronised' it reposts again - but tells me it hasn't and still leaves the message in the outbox.
The situation is only resolved by working off line and removing the post trapped in the outbox.
This trouble occurred on a previous occasion but I don't know why. It only started when I switched to aioe as a news server.
[...]

Couplers (of a decent make) are all the same length regardless of colour. I measure it at 28mm. They have a shoulder at either end and you butt the crimper to this. The jaws on mine are 10mm wide. It also came from TLC. Are you sure it is a crimp tool made for insulated crimps? It should have red blue and yellow identifiers by each set of jaws.
--
*Two many clicks spoil the browse *

βœ–

Thanks for taking the time and trouble to measure.. The crimps I have (TLC) are 24mm near enough, not 28mm. So they are not standardised. Yes - I've got the proper (red/blue/yellow) crimping tool. I've discovered I was doing it wrongly, by crimping at the centre (see other posts in this thread).
In fact, with my the crimping tool 11mm wide, I just have to have its edge flush with end of the crimp, and it's positioned perfectly (a 2mm band in the midlle is not compressed).
Cheers
Add pictures here
βœ–
Steve wrote:

I got a 'selection box' from screwfix a while back and this was my first introduction to using crimps. the couplers in that are double crimp ones and I did not realised there were single ones. So maybe try screwfix or their cheaper (generally) cousin, toolstation? The ones in the TS catalogue certainly look long enough by the proportions of the flared sections to the narrow part.
hth
Bob
Add pictures here
βœ–
Bob Minchin wrote:

Just seen your further posting on this topic Steve. My crimps are 24mm long and the tool has 9mm jaws and allows a second crimp with ease. I think you could still do this with your crimper. Because the crimp has a central barrier to stop the wire going through too far, the only effective part of the crimp is the one nearest the flare at each end.
I've just done a test one and posted a pic here.
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bob.minchin/IMG_0766.JPG
It is fully secure.
HTH
Bob
Add pictures here
βœ–

Thank for taking the trouble to do that Bob. As you will see from my previous post, the problem has arisen as my crimping pliers are wide. They are 11mm. They fit nicely into the 12mm thinner middle section of the crimp, and I assumed this was the correct.way to use them. I was looking for crimps with two 12mm thinner sections. Ah well, you live and learn. Steve
Add pictures here
βœ–

No they're not. There is a division halfway down the crimp. You should only crimp either side of this.
--
*Would a fly without wings be called a walk?

βœ–

Thanks. I've now realised that!
Add pictures here
βœ–