Property Ladder - kitchen supplier

That one was done over a winter, I'd assume 03-04 but the prices would seem to indicate a year or 2 further back. Must make a note of passing number plates in the next one to judge the age.

They introduced the issue of the skip and then rapidly brushed over it, surely even the skip people must have mentioned permits/lights/cones at some stage.

Reply to
James Hart

I wish you luck. At the moment I have been waiting >2months for delivery of certain MFI shortage bedroom items. The shortages have now been delayed for a third time, each time by at least 2 weeks. They have managed to deliver two panels of an order on the same day for which the remaining two panels were cancelled and failed to deliver another panel order which I had waited in for all day and was subsequently rescheduled. They appear to be in as much of a mess as Screwfix, whose telephone order line appears to have been out of action all this week. I do wonder if MFI have financial problems as the finance director departed at great speed recently and the reason given for non delivery is being unable to get supplies in on schedule. Their customer service however I will give full marks to, useless at management caused problem solving, but very reliable at returning phone calls to apologise for the foul ups.

Does anyone know if MFI make for Homebase/Wickes/Focus/B & Q, as I find that almost all the doors,drawer fronts of kitchen units are the same size, which seems strange?

Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

Think of it as an indulgence. After all, isn't the building in last nights show coming close to being the ultimate in property development as the new religion?

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

It was in Ireland and they have a thing about religion. I personally would have ripped the place down and built a proper eco house. Who wants to live in a church? It looked like a church from the outside too. No additions to distinguish it as a house.

Reply to
IMM

Not sure I know which programme you refer to. I was thinking of the ones recently repeated on BBC2 with the horsey-looking blonde presenter(*). They may have concentrated entirely on country properties, not sure. But the prices for some seemed extremely reasonable which made me think we were in some time warp.

(*) Not even on the same playing field as the delightful Melissa Porter. With her as a relocation agent, I'd soon be bankrupt, moving every 3 months or so...

Reply to
John Laird

Is the Pop catholic? Does Dolly Parton sleep on her tummy? etc, etc...

Reply to
JoeJoe

I think the extractor was the one Baumatic used to make for B&Q for about £200. No longer available. I thought the rest of the kitchen looked B&Q-ish as well.

Reply to
G&M

I think the whole program is designed to encourage bored women to think they can make a fortune with there untapped skills, or to give people who actually make a living out of property development a good laugh. Q;You didn't get a survey before buying No we don't need a survey and saved £ Opps didn't spot the roof then girl's Q; who's doing the plastering, I am cant be that difficult men do it. Later pictures of her with plaster all over Trowel, arm, floor, and blob on wall.

HeHe

Reply to
Mark

In message , Mike Mitchell writes

This happens so often that it cannot be coincidence. I am sure that the producers are actually looking for people like this - does it make good TV? I, for one, cant watch it.

Reply to
Richard Faulkner

But then he was getting ir heated 'Free' from that huge thermal/heat transfer/whatsit thing he buried in the next door field.

I would really have liked to know how well that system worked.

Reply to
Paul Mc Cann

Its probably more down to the way the show is edited.

I often think that if you piss off the director he can amke you appear very un-sympathetic.

Reply to
Paul Mc Cann

Delivery is 5 weeks, oven/hob are "Diplomat" (never heard of that one!) and the dishwasher is Indesit. Not the worlds greatest stuff but for £1200 I'm not going to complain, especially since its for a rental.

Reply to
TonyK

That was the classic line of the whole programme, especially when they then had to get the plumbers to help them out.

Reply to
Tim Mitchell

You to make sure appliances are replaceable and that the range will be make for a while in case some doors need replacing.

My previous dealing with MFI is that they promise and never deliver all the order. You make find that handles or whatever will arrive after 10 weeks.

Reply to
IMM

Oh, I can always watch it. There are always a few pointers to take away. The one the other night, for example. They seemed to be taking a heck of a long time ripping the old stuff out. Also, I didn't know about the skip and legal ramifications of parking it on the street. Probably, I would have found out about it, but it's another little snippet of information to store away for free. Finally, in the summer episodes, when the Beeney is blossoming out all over, so to speak, with little restraint, it's far more fun than watching cricket.

MM

Reply to
Mike Mitchell

Totally agree! When she does the Get a New Life programmes and the bald geezer gets to go instead of her, I turn off the TV, slink away, and cry.

MM

Reply to
Mike Mitchell

How would this compare with IKEA's prices? Magnet's? I've always thought of MFI as the epitome of crap.

MM

Reply to
Mike Mitchell

Hmm, ok, maybe - I thought it was this one:

The oven and hob *definitely* said AEG on them.

Reply to
Grunff

I can cut pipe and fit Yorkshire fittings. I can wire a spur, lay laminate flooring, refit doors, build a low garden wall, paint, tile, and even replace whole window frames. I can do most DIY needed to refurbish a house. But I would never, ever attempt to do plastering. It's a skill plasterers learn by lots of practice and one of the few things you simply cannot learn by reading a DIY book. Sometimes you have to open your wallet and pay a professional.

MM

Reply to
Mike Mitchell

IKEA well priced and v good, but they never have everything in stock, and getting it from their appalling stores is another matter.

Reply to
IMM