problem getting refund from taps4less

Does anyone have recent experiences of taps4less.co.uk? They have owed me a refund since 4 July 2007. It was due to be paid by 4 August at the latest (dtance selling regs) but has not been paid yet (3rd Sept).

The amount of the refund is not in dispute and I have an email from them from 4 July agreeing to pay it "within 30 days". When I phone them they agree that the payment is late, say " oh sorry it will be in your acount in 3 days" but it isn't. They do not reply to emails any more.

Is anyone else in a similar position? Any tips on how to get them to pay up? Is the County Court my only choice?

thanks,

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

If you paid by credit card, going that route would be simpler.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Go to the credit card company and tell them that the transaction is disputed and why. Generally they deduct the payment from the trader's account and go from there.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Try sending them a Letter before Action (Google) - usually works wonders.

If they delay, their costs rapidly increase with Interest, Court Fees, Expenses etc

Flop

Reply to
Flop

Hello Robert, Please give me a ring on 0845 8386394 so that I can find your record on our database and sort this sitiuation out for you asap. Many Thanks Brendan

admin

I'd've been impressed if you'd given a geographic number rather than one which generates revenue for your company.

Reply to
Si

Actually I'm quite impressed that somebody at the company has read this ng and posted back here.

But anyway -

is your friend: 01634 718547. (Sorry Brendan...)

David

Reply to
Lobster

I think it`d be appreciated if Robert posted the result of his phone call to the group, to make sure that the level of service shown can be easily found using google groups.

Reply to
Simon Finnigan

He could also point out that their website is misleading...it says that

0845 is local rate.
Reply to
Bob Eager

from Robert (the OP):

Before I was able to call them, taps4less telephoned me to say that they have now refunded my money. I will keep the group posted as to what eventually does happen.

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

Isn't 0845 local call rate as opposed to 0870 which is not?

Reply to
Andy Hall

I thought that 0845 was local rate and 0870 extra rate (unless it has changed)

Reply to
Andy Hall

The point is that they are not allowed to call it 'local rate' any more. They can call it 'lo-call' but not 'local', as it's misleading. It often costs much more than a 'local' (or even national) call would.

It's the same argument as for 0870, which was misleadingly called 'national rate'. In theory it was, but in practice it cost more than expected.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Especially because 0845 and 0870 are both almost always excluded from any fixed-price 'inclusive minutes' landline or mobile phone deals

David

Reply to
Lobster

Indeed. BT's 0845 is now expensive, too; of course, indirect providers either won't accept aclls to them, or charge a lot.

I avoid calling my bank on the 0845 number, and use the 0870 number instead, because I have a tariff that *does* accept them on inclusive minutes...

Reply to
Bob Eager

But you still pay the full local call rate rather than any discounted (or even free) call that you may get from your provider with a geographic number.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

And can end up costing more than eg a call to the US.

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

There is no such thing as local call rate for the vast majority of residential callers. Hasn't been for ages.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I'd be pretty sure that the website is just an oversight rather than a deliberate attempt to mislead, but in any case being accurate would be nice :-)

Just think yourself lucky you're not dealing with NTL/Virgin media... ...or my old solicitor for that matter.

Reply to
adder1969

I am pleased to confirm that taps4less have now made the refund.

Thank you to all those who made suggestions. Advice to pay using a credit card rather than a debit card is well taken (I don't have one at present).

Robert

Reply to
RobertL