getting a refund out of Maplin

I thought people might be intersted in my experience with Maplin.

I bought a satellite kit from their website using Paypal, but when it arrived it was a different type. I specifically wanted the one described. I rang and explained and arranged for them to collect it and refund my money. They collected it but no refund arrived. Each time I rang they said it would be done "at the end of the week" or "the engineers need to check the item is not damaged" or "we have to issue a cheque and that takes time (no refund via Paypal)".

Eventually (at 44 days after the purchase) I filed a dispute with Paypal. Maplin refunded via Paypal within the hour.

Maybe Paypal disputes get dealt with by a different department, but whatever the reason it worked where regular phone calls and emails failed to get anywhere for 6 weeks.

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

Obviously their prices are too high if they can afford to pay the PayPal commission on goods that are returned.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

When you make a refund via PayPal, the commission you originally paid is refunded to you. That applies whether it is a partial or complete refund. You get the commission returned on the amount you refunded.

Reply to
Tony Polson

Try reading what was actually written! If you make a refund by cheque you will not receive a refund of PayPal commission.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

In fact, they did refund by paypal, even though they said that they could not do that.

To confuse things further, I've just got an email saying that "the cheque is in the post"!.

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

Yes, I understood that but was commenting on their initial stance.

I trust you'll donate it to a good cause - like the local pub ;-)

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Try reading what was actually written!

;-)

Reply to
Tony Polson

What was actually written was that Maplin initially said that they wanted to refund only by cheque, not Paypal. MBQ's point was that this was a silly stance, because it would cost them more than a refund through PayPal. That's all.

Reply to
Bob Eager

You must have nothing to do, and all day in which to do it. ;-)

Reply to
Tony Polson

Absolutely correct, today!

Reply to
Bob Eager

No doubt an ex-gratia payment for messing you about. ;-)))

Reply to
Emil Tiades

That statement is usually as true as "I won't cum in your mouth".

Reply to
m1ss_wh1te

Since the cheque would be a second repayment, made in error, i suppose I have should spit it back to Maplin

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

what?!?!?!? Surely that's recompense for 6 weeks (interest @ many % over base), countless phone calls, emails, time, and stress - get it banked man!! (& hope Maplins haven't stopped it yet and your bank don;t charge

*you* for trying it (like ours))

Jim

Reply to
jim

He shouldn;'t have to swallow this at all.....

Reply to
Andy Hall

He shouldn;'t have to swallow this at all.....

Reply to
Andy Hall

Interesting! How do you go about raising a Paypal dispute? Last time I looked at their site, the only reference I could find to Buyer Protection etc. related exclusively to purchases made on Ebay.

I may well have a dispute with a non-Ebay supplier whom I paid via Paypal, and would welcome any advice about where to start.

Reply to
Roger Mills