problem getting refund from taps4less

In message , RobertL writes

IME using a Nationwide debit card (which is on the VISA system) also offers creditcard-like protection.

Reply to
Si

Always, always, always, use some kind of credit vehicle if the amount is over £100.

It can be a credit card, 6 month finance deal or whatever as long as it's regulated under the Consumer Credit Act.

None of these need to be an interest bearing credit deal either. The 6 month deals are often geared up with the onus being on the borrower to make the payment at the end of the 6 months. If you don't, then you are switched into a high interest longer term deal. The way to avoid this is to cancel any direct debits they ask you to sign and to set up a delayed payment for 2 weeks before the end of the

6 months, or monthly payments by standing order with a cut off if preferred. This gives you the facility, the protection and the come back if there are issues.
Reply to
Andy Hall

Yes, some do, as do some charge cards, but it's necessary to read the small print to find out what and how.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Nationwide told me that it was standard t&c's for any debit/credit card which uses the VISA system. In fact, I was out of time under VISA rules but Nationwide refunded me the ~GBP400 (I'd lost when an unbonded holiday firm went into liquidation) as a rather impressive goodwill gesture.

Reply to
Si

Wow, I must look into this. I did in fact use a Nationwide debit card using the VISa system. I should have re-read the small print. Maybe that would have saved me a lot of effort.

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

It should really be used as a second line.

The first is the letters by Special Delivery to the supplier.

I tend to follow a procedure of phone call first (get a name), email second and then the first SD letter asking for resolution in 7 working days. I may follow that up with a phone call. Otherwise, then is the time to go to the card supplier. They will ask if you have done these things anyway.

Reply to
Andy Hall

You make it sound like a regular occurrence. In over 20 years of credit card use I have never, ever had to invoke the card issuer to deal with any supplier that hasn't lived up to expectations. What sort of suppliers do you buy from?

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

I choose suppliers carefully. However there are occasionally ones who perhaps are the only available source of a product who may transgress.

I expect a very high standard from suppliers. This doesn't include being referred to the manufacturer or any amount of fobbing off at all. Hence I insist on tight timescales of no more than a very few days for resolution of problems. For packaged products there is no reason not to achieve that. They can replace the product.

So to that extent, I would say that I have had to invoke credit legislation 3-4 times in about 20 years. This has always been when there has been lack of responsiveness on the part of the supplier or their not doing what they said that they would do.

In general, maintaining the pressure to resolve quickly is by far the best way that I have found. I have pointed out to more than one supplier that if they resolve my issue quickly, they can have a nice day.

Reply to
Andy Hall