Price for slabbing?

Could someone who has either paid someone to do some slabbing, or does it for a living, give me a rough idea of what they charge?

I've done a bit recently, and found I do a good job at it. Unfortunately, I dont seem to be making much profit out of it. I have been adding up the price of materials, estimating how long I'll take, then given the price to the customer - it has taken longer than expected, so I lose 6 - 8 hours for the same price.

I've now worked out a charging structure, where I can quote immediately, by having set prices per square metre/yard, and inbuilt in that is an over-run 'factor'.

For basic 'riven' slabs (typically, £1.75 for a 450mm slab), I'm thinking of £24 per square yard. These are laid on a washed sand/cement mix.

Any edging stones are charged extra, - basic grey round top edging will be £6 per 3 foot.

I think I can make a reasonable living at these prices, but I still get the feeling that they are way too low. Any thoughts? Ta Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

There are professional paving chappies on the forum at the pavingexpert.com site that might be able to help you.

Reply to
Mr Uncalled-For

I don't think I would baulk at that price for decent slabs nicely laid and not developing puddles.

Reply to
Newshound

The trouble is, I can just about make a living from that, but I'll never be able to have days off! So, although I can get work at that price, I still think it may be a little low. I gave this price to a Business today, they baulked at it, and tried to knock me down to £20/sq M. I'd still make a profit on that, but it works out at around £80/day, so after overheads etc, it is not really enough to make a decent living. Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

Paving Expert has this to say; "These prices are for guidance only. Due to the wide variation in prices across the UK, you should consult local suppliers. The prices stated are to construct a 30m² residential patio in various flag types. The guide price includes skips to remove excavated material, bedding sand, flags as described and mortar to point the joints. All prices include VAT. "

And then quotes £40:75 sq/metre for budget slabs @ £0:99 each or £55:75 sq/metre for mid range slabs @ £3:50 each. So it looks like you are way to cheap.

You can't run a business on £80 a day. Can you bring in a cheap labourer? I have a mate who is happy to work with me for £50 a day. You could then do the job in half the time - elves & shoemakers.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Just had a look at a local companies web site where they have an online price guide. Thery quote 'Patios from £48 per sq metre inc labour & materials'. Interestingly they quote £52 per sq metre for decking - I know what I'd rather do for the money.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Yes, I havent quoted many prices for decking yet, but when people ask, i tell them roughly double the price of slabs - so that is very near the £50/sqm quoted above for me. I gave a quote for slabs yesterday, £850, I didnt think they'd go for decking, as it was so expensive, and would be a nightmare to keep clean where they want it, so I said in the region of £1500 for a slightly smaller area in decking, so again, roughly double the cost of basic slabs. Ta Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

I still reckon you are way too cheap matey!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Yes, noted, so I will up the prices somewhat. I was working on £100 a day for me in my price, but as you know, delays happen, obstructions shopw up, so the amount I get done in the day may not add up to the amount I was expecting to do. Ta Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee