Decking covering rough ground

I have a piece of garden that was destined to have a 12 by 8 foot green house on it. The bozo that put down the foundations did not take into account the slope of the land and from one end to the other, slopes down by 8 inches. I now have an area that is about, between 14, or 16 foot square that I want to recover by putting some decking over it. It is my easiest way out of the land slope.

Is there any way that I can build the decking flat, using either metal work off the concrete kerb stones in the ground, or tantalized wood so that I will end up with a flat surface?

This is my Autumn project, to get some brownie points out of she who thinks she must be obeyed.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

You can still put a greenhouse there if you just make the walls out of square.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

If it slopes down towards the South, you'll get more Solar Radiation in the glasshouse , maybe it was deliberately sloped? Regards Don

Reply to
Donwill

Decking is the easiest & cheapest answer to a slope, 8" is no problem at all.

Any chance of a picture? Is the slab higher or lower than the intended deck level?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Build it up with bricks rather than wood

Reply to
Stuart Noble

The mind boggles at how they make that stuff.

Not sure I can help with your q, am not really clear where the problem lies.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

The Medway Handyman

Easy. Just throw it into place and hope. That will be tantalizing enough

Reply to
Andy Hall

Even more effective if one has imbibed from the tantalus first.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

It slopes to the North :-(

Dave

Reply to
Dave

No can do, unfortunately :-(

OK here goes. The garden slopes down from the back of the house (just enough to drain it). When I moved in many years ago, I dug down and created a split level effect. The lower level of about 14/16 foot, that I want to recover, is about 18 to 24 inches below the main upper portion of the garden. This lower level slopes down again by about 7 to 8 inches. I want to create a decked area that can be accessed either by the upper area, which is grassed, or from the path that goes down to the back gate, along side the path

There is no slab, but there are very well concreated kerb stones set in the ground that could be used to support a decking. What I am looking to do is use these kerbstones as support for the decking.

Is there anything that can be readily bought that will stand on top of the kerb stones that will support a frame for the decking, or is there something else I can do? Like drill the kerbstones and support the structure of the decking with?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Sounds like a good idea to me, as I tried to level the greenhouse base by adding bricks to try and level the greenhouse.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Having stopped laughing, I can see your point :-)

Dave

Reply to
Dave

OK, without a picture or diagram here's what I would do.

Use the existing stones as a datum & take all other levels from them. Start by using a 4 x 2 on top of the stones, levelled & fixed down with a couple of multi montes or similar fixings.

Run 6x2 timbers from the 4x2 to whatever length you want, one each side. Support both with 3x3 posts in postcrete. Complete the rectangle with another 6x2. A 6x2 will span around 10' without support, above that use a concrete block & a post to support the joist.

You should now have a rectangular frame of 6x2 with one side of 4x2 supported by the stones.

Fill in the frame with 6x2 joists at 16" centres. Screwfix Turbo Gold Coach Screws are excellent for this

a 10' span support every other joist centrally on a concrete block & use cross noggins to stiffen up the structure.

Happy to help with any design problems on or off group.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

NT

Reply to
meow2222

In which case he was a Bozo.

Regards Don

Reply to
Donwill

Invite the wife's sister round and ask her to do a strip-tease in the garden shed. That'll get your wood tantalised.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Gawd, that has had me in tears the last few days :-)

Dave

Reply to
Dave

In message , Donwill writes

Maybe he was trying to grow plants for a temperate climate.. Nah, he was a bozo.

Reply to
Clint Sharp