Roof felt replacement cost

MIL needs the felt on her 20+ year old flat roof replacing. Underlying timber is apparently sound, just needs felt and bitumen (or whatever the best way to do it is). What sort of price per square metre should she be looking at?

Also, of the two people that have had a look already, one says "I don't put stones on top", the other says "You must have stones on top". Not sure what they mean by that (the gritty stuff on top?). Is it necessary or for visual appeal only?

Ta.

Al.

Reply to
Al

My understanding is that the stones are to absorb heat and delay cracking of felt and melting/weakening/cracking of bitumen at joints. Another option is painting the surface of the felt with metallic silver-coloured reflective paint.

Toom

Reply to
Toom Tabard

Thanks, the roofers have confirmed that's what the stones are for, and the one that doesn't use stones says he uses a combination felt with 'metal threads'.

Whatever, the third one to have a look as quoted the lowest price, complete with stones, so she'll probably go with him.

Al.

Reply to
Al

But silver (grey) paint reflects less sunlight than white paint? Why not paint the roof white?

Stones are easily moved, pinched by birds and the like! I'm not convinced they do a great deal.

Reply to
Fredxx

its funny what you can sell people

away absorbed heat, much reduces the thermal cycling of the felt.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

One might have been looking at using one of the rubber membrane materials (EPDM) which I don't think need a stone layer (and in fact might be damaged by them)

Reply to
Colin Wilson

With roofing felt go for one with polyester carrier as opposed to cheaper fibre (rag as was called) or glass fibre. Those with mineral granules cover give underlying "felt" protection from the elements and is available in choice of colurs normally; grey/slate-brown/red-green. On a shed you would normally just apply 1 layer; eg

Gel