Laminate or parawood? Alternatives?

I know this is a little bit of a subjective question, but anyway:

I'm about to lay flooring throughout the whole house (except bathrooms) and can't really afford to spend more than =A315 sq/m.

Her Majesty wants an oak look, so I'm thinking about Parawood or Oak Laminate (AC4 commercial grade).

Can anyone offer any pearls of wisdom? It's 60 sq/m altogether - a fair handful of cash I'm about to shell out!

Reply to
Matt

Firstly, budget in for the underlay - that can be a reasonably substantial proportion of the cost.

Next, try some of the smaller carpet / flooring stockists - I bought a load of AC5 for our toy-room (home-office) which has seen heavy wear for the last 5 years without any obvious deterioration. Cost about £8/sq m, I think (although this is the printed type, not real wood). But that was about 50% what the main sheds wanted for a comparable product. Worth phoning around.

Lastly, try some of the less obvious places. Makro, if you can steal a card [just why do they only sell to business owners, anyway?, it's full of card-holders with their kids anyway], sell some very nice bamboo planking, and real wood veneered planking for a very reasonable £13/sq m (as far as I can remember - presumably VAT on top of that).

Reply to
Mike Dodd

I think it how they get away with trading from areas which do not permit retail. Planning permission and stuff.

Reply to
R D S

nail/head ;-)

Reply to
.

have just had the makro e-mailout and the mrs has just brought home the printed mailout. there's some solid plank flooring, 13mm thick with 5 coats of varnish and

25 year guarantee - oak, mahogany and teak was £14.99 and £16.99 respectively now ... blurred out ! but I believe it's about £9.99 sadly, the offer isn't in the printed mailout so you'll have to phone makro and, obviously, be quick about it.

hth

Reply to
.

Fantastic!

I'll have a look at that - her dad's down to help with the plastering this weekend, and he happens to have a Makro card...

I might ask T> Matt wrote:

sn't in the printed

Reply to
Matt

Matt wrote:

just rechecked, the oak /is/ £9.99 per m/sq and the mahogany/teak is £14.99 per pack which is .85 m/sq. ethically, the latter two are a bit dodgy, imo.

good luck with the project

Reply to
.

I'll have a look at that - her dad's down to help with the plastering this weekend, and he happens to have a Makro card...

I might ask T> Matt wrote:

Topps have Maple engineered 14mm at iirc 19.99 per square metre, looks lovely on the display boards but funnily enough doesn't look the so nice in the packets.

Wickes have Parawood engineered 14mm reduced to 14.99 metre and also oak veneer 7mm at 14.99. They also have some other hardwood engineered floorings reduced at 19.99 per square metre, the birch 14mm engineered is very nice.

You can get them delivered for free by buying from their website but you will have to point out that their prices are wrong because apparently their webshop team is incompetent. ie 1.65m pack listed at 19.99 per metre yet the price quoted is £41.24 per pack.

HLAH