Is there a rule of thumb for cost to install hardwood flooring?

I'm looking at different per sq ft costs of hardwood flooring. I wondered if there was a general rule to thumb to estimate the total cost with installation. Double it? Triple it? I live in NH.

-Jim

Reply to
jtpr

Call a couple of flooring contractors in you area and ask for a "ballpark per square foot" estimate. Any numbers we give you are meaningless for your area. Roughly I would GUESS that double the material cost would get you somewhere in the general area. There is one heck of a lot of hard labor involved.

The last time I checked, a few years back, the local price was $54 sq yard (54/9= $6 square foot) installed over a clean dry ready to nail subfloor. I doubt that price is still valid even here.

Most contractors are going to want to quote materials and labor. Finding someone to install wood you have purchased will cost extra.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

If life were that simple, unfortunately it is not. Many factors come into play.

Reply to
EXT

Buying your own flooring and then hiring someone to install it is risky business. The installer will always blame the wood and the people who sold you the wood will blame the installer. Get a quote for both together. If you are partial to a particular wood get your installer to approve or buy it first. This also means you won't be stuck with a bunch of extra or even worse be short on materials. If you are short on materials you could end up paying sizable extra costs if your installer has to come back later to finish the job.

With any kind of flooring I prefer to get it installed through the seller.

Reply to
Jimmy

Is there a big box store near you? Usually they have a sign next to the things they install, such as flooring, that says how much they charge for the service.

Reply to
Karl S

I'm not saying the op has this in mind but it never ceases to surprise me how many people buy their hardwood and then shop around for a cheap installer. I used to get calls at my business asking if I installed hardwood floors all the time. For peace of mind choose a reliable business to supply both the wood and the installer.

Reply to
Jimmy