Thermostat Deadband Rule of Thumb?

Is there a rule of thumb in choosing thermostat's deadband range. I am using Totaline's definition of deadband (which is the difference between the set point and when the heating (or cooling) goes on. If the heating mode set point is 70 and the deadband is 2, the heat will go on at 68 and turn off at 70. If in cooling mode, the cooling would go on at 72 and turn off at 70.

I used to have it set at 1 degree and now have it at 2 degrees as my furnace this was cycling on and off this past cold winter in the northeast.

My friend just had a new thermostat installed in PA and the contractor set his deadband to 1 degree.

I'm just curious if there is a rule of thumb or some general cost saving formula based on the deadband.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Deadband is that....deadband where the stat basically ignores what you have it at, till its time.

Anticipation is what you need to set, and Totaline stats basically, suck ass anyway.

Reply to
CBHVAC

It all depends on the load vs the source and the frequency you wnat cycles. Load changes with seasons, day/night, weather, etc. That's why a better thermostat lets you adjust the hysteresis. Your 1 or 2 degrees is typical.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Larger swings are easier on the equipment, short cycles wear out components faster and give less efficiency as start up is not efficient till it is warmed up- heat mode or cooled down AC mode. It is really a matter of comfort. Some people want constant temp some dont mind a 4 degree spread . Set it to where it swings to much then back off trying to keep longer cycles. Short 10 - 15 minute cycles are not the best for HVAC equipment

Reply to
m Ransley