New Bathroom - cost?

I have an average sized bathroom, I want a supplier to rip out the old (everything goes including tiles) and replace with, say a 600 quid suite, retile and floor. In a round ball park figure, (Such as B&Q doing the install..) how much? I don't want to go over 5k really?

Reply to
huLLy

£5000 for a bog ....You crazy ..lol

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

Try Yellow Pages or one of the on-line local search sites.

Give them a call on the phone and tell them that you have an averaged sized bathroom and could they give you a firm quote on this basis.

Better still, tell them that you have £5k to spend and ask them what they can do for that amount.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Try asking them.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

I'd like to get an idea first before the relentless marketing campaign starts targeting me.

Reply to
huLLy

It's like asking how long is a piece of string.

The costs of materials vary enormously, as do labour costs depending on location and whether the supplier wants the work.

Start with local rather than national suppliers and you are more likely to get reasonable pricing. Ask for references.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Generally mark everything up by a factor of there to get installed cost.

It takes me 2-4 weeks to do a bathroom to a decent standard.

So about 2-3 grand of labour and fiddly bits like plumbing.

Buy cheap china and expensive tiles.

I expect to spend about 250 on a bath, 100 on a basin and 250 on a loo.

Probably 600-1000 on a shower altogether, and about 150 on taps and other trinkets like bog roll holders. Tiles? about a grand. I don't skimp on tiles....

Then what else is there? The on I am doing now has an alcove that needs a mirror, and arch, some lights...marble tops need carving for the vanity units...loads of tile cement and grout...shaver socket..airing cupboard and cupboard and drawer fronts in oak...a fair bit of MDF to make the bath surround...you name it..

There is a lot of difference between a few bits of cheap china, some white 'trade' tiles and a vinyl floor and a totally equipped integrated to your own design bathroom that you WANT to spend hours in doing the crossword...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Funnily enough, I'm looking to get the same sort of work done, so I'd be interested in knowing what quotes you get (notwithstanding the "it depends" views aired here). On a practical note, the time it will take is an issue too. Unless you have a second bathroom (or _very_ accommodating neighbours) what provision are you making for err, sanitation until the installation's complete?

Pete

Reply to
Peter Lynch

4 weeks for bathroom ??? your having a laugh, I could fit out a bathroom quicker than that and that would be doing my normal day job as well
Reply to
Mr Fixit

I was hoping a typical pro installer would do it in about 5 working days, so we'd prob use the parents in laws facilities... or dig a trench in the garden!

Reply to
huLLy

Oh, I could put a heap of cheap shed crap together in a day or too for sure.

I spent a whole day just getting the plasterwork up to scratch, filling sanding and caulking..

Custom carpentry to fit the cupboards and vanity units in is at least a day or two.

Vertical tiling is not hard if the walls are level..but tiling over a floor that resembles a contour map of dartmoor is more challenging.

Likewise doing pipework that is accurate, neat, and boxed in is non trivial sometimes.

As I say, there is the world of difference between a wimpey house bog basin and bath, a few white tiles and a slab of vinyl floor, and a bathroom that is like something out of 'ideal homes' with lighting, fittings, (not easy on plasterboard walls, those take planning too) special nice radiators and towel rails, tile and marble encased bath, custom designed shower cubicle..and decorated to an A1 standard.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You can nearly always, if there is not too much construction required, get a new bog in almost immediately.

It may need to come out for tileing again, but thats no great shakes.

Likewise a basin can be got in in a day or less. If there is no big deal on running pipes

Putting the units in is the easy bit. Its the carpentry and the decoration that is labour intensive.

You can paint a room in a day or less. It may take you a week or more to prepare it to a standard ready for painting though...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Likely had a quote from Dolphin !!!!

Dave

Reply to
Dave Stanton

Measure your bathroom up, with position of soil pipe, windows, etc., go to B&Q, Wickes, or wherever, and take advantage of their "Free design service". Allow yourself to be shown various products. Make a selection, and ask for a price estimate based on what you have shown them and what you've selected. You don't have to take any notice of any marketing campaign.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

No-one likes giving quotes, without major effort in working out exclt what is involved.

So what can be easier is to ask for price guidance on _previous_ work. If they did a bathroom of vaguely the right size and style, ask them how much that one cost and what the fittings were. The fitter isn't tying themselves into a promise of a firm quote and you probably get a more accurate quote (assuming the style is similar) than something with a lot of hand-waving and back-covering.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

The best thing is to ask around - friends and family - that have had similar work done. If they're happy with the job they may tell you the kind of costs. you can get people in for an estimate - or better still - a quote. Decide from the recommendation of friends and/or the 'vibes' you get when they come round. It will cost more than you imagine and it will take longer than you think. Our toilet was rarely out of action - never overnight, but we lived for a month without a bath/shower - frequent rtrips to our next door neighbour. A few doors up, another neighbour has had the bathroom done - two weeks became four weeks...

Also consider qualirt as well as price. I'd rather pay more for a recommend person/team than less for a bad job. All in all five people worked on our job - two plasterers - (less than a day), an electrician (two half days), plumber, gaffer/tiler.

Good luck.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Andrews

cheap, mine is 2m^2 and cost 12,000+

Reply to
DJC

wait, how do you spend 12k in a room that is your front door's length? unless you fill it with benson and hedges or gold then it would be hard! unless of course labour was 10k????????

Reply to
Gav

I have recently done this. To refit a bathroom, bath sink and toilet circa =A3600 labour only. Tiling is approx 25 per square metre plus the cost of the tiles probably about another 25 per square metre. I accept that tiles can vary from 10 to 100+ per sqare but you can get a decent tile for circa 25. Also a lot depend son area where living. These are midlands prices and also allow for Vat. Allow an extra 100 to ply line the floor.=20 Legin

Reply to
legin

Its easy to spend over a grand for a bath/bog couple of grand for a shower and a grand on tiles,if you want the fashionable items.

I don;t know why, but people wnat these bathrooms with ditzy craop in them

OTOH is easy enough to get a shower-in-bath and bog basin and bath for under 800, taps and all, slap some vinyl on the floor, and some trade tiles up a bit of the walls, and do the job for a grand materials wise....ugly plastic fittings, exposed pipes, and a lick of paint.

That sort of job will cost you a couple of grand with someone in to do it, The more affluent bathroom could be £5k, or more. Ive seen gold plated taps at 500 quid....

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher