Hot Water Problems

I have a hot water tank with two immersion heaters in. The problem is when I ran hot water the other day it was only luke warm. I have checked that the thermostat in the element is up at a high enough temp and I can here the element working at night. So whats the problem, looking at various sites one suggestion is that it could be limescale building up. Any ideas ?

Reply to
bmthed

If it suddenly happened, it is more likely to be a faulty thermostat.

Reply to
Andy Hall

|On 2 Apr 2006 03:39:52 -0700, "bmthed" wrote: | |>I have a hot water tank with two immersion heaters in. The problem is |>when I ran hot water the other day it was only luke warm. I have |>checked that the thermostat in the element is up at a high enough temp |>and I can here the element working at night. So whats the problem, |>looking at various sites one suggestion is that it could be limescale |>building up. Any ideas ? | | |If it suddenly happened, it is more likely to be a faulty thermostat.

Replacement thermostats are cheap and readily available at Plumbers merchants. They are easy to remove, but remember to switch off the mains before playing with electrics. Take the old one to the plumbers merchant.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Or the element has failed in one of the immersion heaters.

Chances are that one heater is fairly short, and heats only the top part of the cylinder, and the other one is long and heats the whole lot. If the long one has failed, you will only have a few gallons of hot water and it will soon run cold.

Do you have the means - and skills - to test the continuity of the heater elements?

Reply to
Roger Mills