New Bathroom - cost?

The best thing is to ask around - friends and family - that have had similar work done. If they're happy with the job they may tell you the kind of costs. you can get people in for an estimate - or better still - a quote. Decide from the recommendation of friends and/or the 'vibes' you get when they come round. It will cost more than you imagine and it will take longer than you think. Our toilet was rarely out of action - never overnight, but we lived for a month without a bath/shower - frequent rtrips to our next door neighbour. A few doors up, another neighbour has had the bathroom done - two weeks became four weeks...
Also consider qualirt as well as price. I'd rather pay more for a recommend person/team than less for a bad job. All in all five people worked on our job - two plasterers - (less than a day), an electrician (two half days), plumber, gaffer/tiler.
Good luck.
Paul
I have recently done this. To refit a bathroom, bath sink and toilet circa 600 labour only. Tiling is approx 25 per square metre plus the cost of the tiles probably about another 25 per square metre. I accept that tiles can vary from 10 to 100+ per sqare but you can get a decent tile for circa 25. Also a lot depend son area where living. These are midlands prices and also allow for Vat. Allow an extra 100 to ply line the floor. Legin
On Sun, 02 Apr 2006 11:22:25 +0100, huLLy wrote:

From another installer's excellent (but now unavailable) website: """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" 'Ball Park' figures (inc VAT):
Simple bathroom - new suite, half tiling, no shower, layout unchanged... Typical price range: 3,000 - 5,000 including VAT
Average family bathroom - new suite, new layout, vanity unit, power shower over bath, heated towel radiator, full tiling... Typical price range: 5,000 - 8,000 including VAT
More complex bathroom - new suite, new layout, fitted furniture with concealed-cistern WC, power shower over bath, heated towel radiator, full tiling, recessed low-voltage lights... Typical price range: 8,000 - 10,000 including VAT.
'Luxury' bathroom - new suite, new layout, fitted furniture with concealed-cistern WC, power shower in large separate shower enclosure, heated towel radiator, full tiling, recessed low-voltage lights... Typical price range: 12,000 - 20,000 including VAT. """"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 23:00:25 GMT, John Stumbles

Some people clearly get paid too much ..lol
Stuart
On Wed, 05 Apr 2006 11:06:45 +0100, Stuart wrote:

You mean estage agents? advertising types? executives of failing companies?
Or tradespeople: ah! now _they_ have no right to a good standard of living for the work they do, have they?
On Wed, 05 Apr 2006 23:18:08 GMT, John Stumbles

Where did I mention tradespeople ...??
No..I was actually meaning people that pay that sort of dosh for a bog .
..
Stuart wrote:

But its all relative. I've owned this flat for 21 years, not that I planned to: moving's expensive so at least three, five maybe seven. But then, either it was the wrong time to be selling, or my life was too uncertain to sell. So I am still here, and nothing's been done to it for 15 years as I was always considering a move. So now it needs doing even to sell, and I might be here for the next twenty years. The mortgage rate is less than half what I was paying 20 years ago, and the property worth five times as much. Whether I view it as payment for 20 years wear and tear, or an investment in the next twenty spending 20k over the past 2 years on refurbishment does not seem that excessive. Now I could have done it cheaper it is true, but. The DIY kitchen took months of evenings and weekends and the modestly speced bill of materials still came to a couple of thousand. Its not difficult to manage without a kitchen for months, not so easy to be without a bathroom even for a week. Cheaper to get someone in than find alternative accommodation for the months DIY would take. Now the cost of getting the work done, to a standard I find acceptable is much the same whatever the cost of the materials. If the job with the cheapest materials costs 8k and it costs another 2, or even 4k for something I may be living with for the rest of my life (if I'm still here in 20 years, I will be here till I'm carried out in a box.) then that seems reasonable to me. In the end its only money, The car can run another year, a new bathroom will last a lot longer that a new computer I do not really need to buy, if I buy fewer books I can save on bookshelves.
--
David Clark
<http://www.publishing.ucl.ac.uk
On Thu, 06 Apr 2006 17:22:23 +0100, Stuart wrote:

Fairy Nuff. If you'd said some people _have_ too much money I'd have known what you meant.
But it's all relative, isn't it? I mean, even to buy a packet of crisps is obscene in the context of how some people on our planet live. I've never paid more than a grand for a car but even that's a fortune for most humans, globally. For the price of my house I could probably buy a medium size village in many places.