New Bathroom - cost?

Wedi Fundo tray, wall boards and tanking kit. 681.00 tiles 776.30 WC, frame, cistern, 549.63 Thermo shower valve, head etc 447.39 basin, trap, and mixer tap 479.42 radiator 407.00 sundry materials, plumbing, tiling etc 630.00 ______ Total Main contract materials 3,970.74 Main contract labour 17 days @ 250 + parking 4,422.80 VAT 1,468.87

10mm toughened pre-acid glass partition & door 1,198.04 measure and fit glass 860.00 VAT 360.16

DIY stuff extract fan, ducting 184.31 (inc VAT) suspended ceiling 146.78 (inc VAT) sundry stuff, tools > 300.00

I've lost count of the numerous odd bits of expenditure, in B&Q, homebase, Wickes, Ryness, Buck & Ryan, Leyland SDM, etc which easily take the above total to over 13,000. Not to mention the time its taken up over the past year, or the living in the middle of a workshop for best part of two years.

Put up a shelf this evening, if I can get the floor back down in the entrance lobby next weekend, then I might get all the rubbish down to the dump by easter. Then there's just the making good to the paintwork in the main room, and the skirting boards that came off two years ago can be reinstated, and bringing the residents association to agreement about decorating and repairing common parts, and some improved windows, and...

Reply to
DJC

£407 for a radiator ..FFS..
Reply to
Stuart

From another installer's excellent (but now unavailable) website: """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" 'Ball Park' figures (inc VAT):

Simple bathroom - new suite, half tiling, no shower, layout unchanged... Typical price range: £3,000 - £5,000 including VAT

Average family bathroom - new suite, new layout, vanity unit, power shower over bath, heated towel radiator, full tiling... Typical price range: £5,000 - £8,000 including VAT

More complex bathroom - new suite, new layout, fitted furniture with concealed-cistern WC, power shower over bath, heated towel radiator, full tiling, recessed low-voltage lights... Typical price range: £8,000 - £10,000 including VAT.

'Luxury' bathroom - new suite, new layout, fitted furniture with concealed-cistern WC, power shower in large separate shower enclosure, heated towel radiator, full tiling, recessed low-voltage lights... Typical price range: £12,000 - £20,000 including VAT. """"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

Reply to
John Stumbles

Some people clearly get paid too much ..lol

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

You mean estage agents? advertising types? executives of failing companies?

Or tradespeople: ah! now _they_ have no right to a good standard of living for the work they do, have they?

Reply to
John Stumbles

Where did I mention tradespeople ...??

No..I was actually meaning people that pay that sort of dosh for a bog .

..

Reply to
Stuart

But its all relative. I've owned this flat for 21 years, not that I planned to: moving's expensive so at least three, five maybe seven. But then, either it was the wrong time to be selling, or my life was too uncertain to sell. So I am still here, and nothing's been done to it for 15 years as I was always considering a move. So now it needs doing even to sell, and I might be here for the next twenty years. The mortgage rate is less than half what I was paying 20 years ago, and the property worth five times as much. Whether I view it as payment for

20 years wear and tear, or an investment in the next twenty spending 20k over the past 2 years on refurbishment does not seem that excessive. Now I could have done it cheaper it is true, but. The DIY kitchen took months of evenings and weekends and the modestly speced bill of materials still came to a couple of thousand. Its not difficult to manage without a kitchen for months, not so easy to be without a bathroom even for a week. Cheaper to get someone in than find alternative accommodation for the months DIY would take. Now the cost of getting the work done, to a standard I find acceptable is much the same whatever the cost of the materials. If the job with the cheapest materials costs 8k and it costs another 2, or even 4k for something I may be living with for the rest of my life (if I'm still here in 20 years, I will be here till I'm carried out in a box.) then that seems reasonable to me. In the end its only money, The car can run another year, a new bathroom will last a lot longer that a new computer I do not really need to buy, if I buy fewer books I can save on bookshelves.
Reply to
DJC

Fairy Nuff. If you'd said some people _have_ too much money I'd have known what you meant.

But it's all relative, isn't it? I mean, even to buy a packet of crisps is obscene in the context of how some people on our planet live. I've never paid more than a grand for a car but even that's a fortune for most humans, globally. For the price of my house I could probably buy a medium size village in many places.

Reply to
John Stumbles