power shower installation

Hi,

Hoping someone might be able to give me a pointer on this ...

We've just moved into a flat with a power shower that is wired in "oddly". By oddly, I mean that the shower wiring goes through the bathroom wall and is plugged into a mains socket in the bedroom next door with a 13A fuse! The cabling within the bathroom itself is all enclosed and so there's no danger of water ingress; it would also be impossible for someone in the bathroom to operate the mains switch.

I am trying to find out if this clearly non-standard arrangement actually adheres to the guidelines or not. And if not, what the simplest and most straightforward way of making it safe would be (we just redecorated...)

Any advice gratefully received,

thanks,

miles

Reply to
Miles

If you are using the correct definition of "power shower", ie just it's just a pump/mixer and hot and cold water come from elsewhere, it isn't a particularly neat or pleasant arrangement but not one to lose much sleep over. If you are using the incorrect definition and it's an instantaneous electric shower that heats the water, then all sorts of things are amiss!

Assuming the former, the shower wiring really ought to go to an FCU spurred off the socket (assuming on the ring and not spurred already) in a proper fixed installation, the FCU carrying the appropriate fuse for the shower pump (the plug should contain an approriate fuse as it is).

Assuming the latter, it needs to be rewired (peoperly) back to the CU .

Reply to
Bob Mannix

On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 13:05:31 +0100 someone who may be Miles wrote this:-

Is this a unit with a separate pump, or is the pump inside a box mounted in the shower enclosure?

There are a number of issues in the bathroom (for example bonding, which is changing just to make things more difficult) which mean there is no simple answer to this. Giving a useful opinion would mean a far more detailed description.

However, one way to improve the situation would be to remove the socket and replace it with a switched fused connection unit, probably with a 3A or 5A fuse depending on the pump rating. Other things may be necessary as well.

Reply to
David Hansen

Hi,

Thanks for the help - I think I'm using the correct definition as we had a boiler issue which resulted in cold showers for a day or two!

I will double-check the make and model tonight.

Miles

Reply to
Miles

Hi,

I'm not sure if the pump is mounted within the box, or if the pump is separate and just mounted pretty much behind the box. I think the unit takes hot and cold water and just mixes, rather than heating it's own.

I will check the make and model to work out the appropriate fusing.

Miles

Reply to
Miles

On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 15:55:19 +0100 someone who may be Miles wrote this:-

Check the pipes. If there is a hot one and a cold one going to the unit then, with the information you have given, it is a power shower. If there is just one pipe then it isn't a power shower but an instant one.

The pump will either be entirely separate, under the bath or in an airing cupboard usually, or it will be built into the box. If it is separate then there will just be a shower mixer valve at the shower. Otherwise there will be a plastic box with the pump inside.

Reply to
David Hansen