Another shower pull cord question

Does anyone know if a shower pull cord is needed for a digitally controlled mixer shower controller ? My son in law is fitting such a device where the temperature control is done by a Mira digitally controlled box outside the shower area powered off a12v mains power supply, which logic says can just be plugged into the nearest 13A socket - all this side of the fitment is outside the bathroom area.

I would have preferred such a configuration so that an emergency switch off is available in the shower area, but Mira's instructions are all confused as they have just pulled paragraphs from those for an ordinary electric shower and include a requirement to wire to a heavy duty supply from the consumer unit and would consequently include such a switch.

S.I.L is taking the easiest approach of just using a convenient 13A socket for the controller PSU, which is probably correct but the lack of a local emergency off switch did concern me.

Thanks Rob

Reply to
robgraham

It's not an emergency switch-off -- it's an isolator for maintenance. The isolator needs to be near enough the item to be under the direct control of someone performing maintenance on it. In your case, this means near the mains power supply. A plug and socket can count as an isolator if it's in an appropriate location.

There's nothing stopping you from have a pull-cord isloator in the bathroom too, but it's not required, and it makes the circuit more complicated and become subject to bathroom rules, when it wouldn't otherwise be.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

What is the make and model is the above??

Why dont you just fit a thermostatic mixer shower?

No need for uneccesary electrical instalations.

It would also be safer and fitted by now!

Reply to
Tommy

What is the make and model is the above??

Why dont you just fit a thermostatic mixer shower?

No need for uneccesary electrical instalations.

It would also be safer and fitted by now!

I wonder how many people always turn off the shower with the pull cord? I also wonder how many have been pulled off the ceiling as they need quite a pull.

Reply to
John