(Possibly OT) oven temperature question

Do the marks on a gas oven dial relate to 100s of centigrade? ie: Gas mark 1 = 100 C 2 = 200 C etc. I've never seen what the graduations relate to in any cooker that we've ever bought.

Reply to
Bod

Has Wikipedia passed you by?

Reply to
Scott M

Wikipedia has been known to be wrong many times. If you know the answer, is it that hard for you to say yes or no?

Reply to
Bod

Smoke some more weed.

Reply to
The Todal

No

Reply to
The Todal

GOOGLE

Go learn how to use it Ronaldo.

Reply to
The Todal

No I ask you're wife. :)

Reply to
The Todal

On things like that, it's generally pretty good. It's also referenced, so you can check for yourself.

I think you can reasonably easily assume it's not 100s of C though. Gas mark 6, 600 degrees C, would be quite messy :-)

(Pizza ovens are 400 degrees or so)

Reply to
Clive George

Gas Mark 1 app 140C Gas Mark 2 app 150C Gas Mark 3 app 170C Gas Mark 4 app 180C Gas Mark 5 app 190C Gas Mark 6 app 200C

Reply to
S Viemeister

It's a lot better than it used to be. Probably no more unreliable than any other encyclopedia these days. Here's the Wiki entry:

Perhaps Scott meant Google. In which case, try this.

The temperatures don't agree exactly with the Wiki figures, but they're within a few degrees, and oven thermostats are never that accurate anyway.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

The Sun is pretty hot to , don't ya know

Gas Mark 25000.

Reply to
The Todal

Which means that you:

a) lack the ability to make value judgements of what you read (which going by Gas Mark 8 = 800C, seems to be about right)

b) seem to think an answer from people like me is more likely to be right than a peer-checked answer from people with too much time on their hands.

c) have never bothered reading anything (recipes, packets, instant meals) where they give oven settings in C, F & GM. I avoid cooking like the plague but know GM6 is 200C.

Reply to
Scott M

Yes. Gas mark 5 is 500C Gas mark 10 is hyperspace. FFS

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

We didn't use those funny foreign measurements when the gas mark was introduced.

Gas Mark 1 = 275F Gas Mark 2 = 300F Gas Mark 3 = 325F etc

Reply to
Nightjar

She said that she doesn't speak to strange men. I'm the exception.

Reply to
Bod

Thanks, appreciated.

Reply to
Bod

Anything over gash mark 5 and you can put the pork sausage in the oven.

Cooking times are variable.

Reply to
ARW