Baxi Solo 2PF - setting output temperature

We've got a Baxi Solo 2 PF boiler that was installed about 10 years ago (it's a conventional/non-condensing boiler).

I recently checked the HW and CH programme and temperature settings (which I haven't changed for many years) -- the HW tank and immersion heater thermostats, and slightly reducing the programmed on/off times

-- and want to check the boiler output temperature.

The thermostat dial on the boiler has the usual settings -- Off, frost (*) and temperature settings from 1 to 6. It's current set to "4", but I have no idea what temperature that represents.

I've poked about online, but haven't found anything that tells me how the 1-6 settings relate to the output temperature.

Any ideas?

Reply to
HVS

Get a pipe thermometer on the flow pipe.

Make sure it has good thermal contact with the pipe, most are rather poor and read low.

Another way is to wrap the 'flow' pipe in tape and use an IR thermometer. The raw pipe will be reflective in the IR band, and so best covered it with tape to provide an emissive surface.

Reply to
Fredxx

Get yourself an electronic thermometer. Thermocouple types are readily available for not much money on ebay.

Reply to
John J

Just be aware that all the advice about reducing flow temperature could be damaging to a non-condensing boiler if it has a cast iron heat exchanger. You *don’t* want water condensing inside a boiler that isn’t corrosion resistant or have any way of dealing with condensate.

Must admit to being a bit surprised that you could get a non-condensing boiler as recently as 10 years ago…

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

6 will be "max" which would probably be 85 to 90 deg C...

If it is a non condenser then there is not march benefit in turning it down other than for less pipe clanking and ticking in the warmer months of the heating system. Make sure the return temp is 60 or higher to precent condensation in the boiler.

Reply to
John Rumm

One of these, with the sensor clopped to the flow pipe, with some insulation over the top, will be very accurate. They read in degrees C.

A pair will enable you to watch both flow and return temperatures.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

Would this not to some extent depend on the loading and losses in the rads? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I'm not sure if I follow, certainly the exit/flow temperature will take time to increase but most boilers modulate on the exit temperature. Once it's in modulating mode the OP will be able to associate a setting number with actual temperature.

Reply to
Fredxx