Odd Scam...what is the point of this?

Hí! snipped-for-privacy@myco.co.uk

Receipt for your payment to Target Inc.

We thank you for shopping online with us and using PãyPãl as your payment partner.

We have received your order on 21 Dec. 2022 , we are processing your order and it will be delivered soon through standard shipment.

The online transaction of £ 129.99 is received through available paypal credits balance, the amount will reflect on the statement within few hours.

Below is your shopping details: -

Customer Reference # 942-9586154 Minolta 20.0 Megapixel Bridge Camera Ordered Quantity : 03 Only Shipping Charges :£ 20.00 Order Total : £ 129.99

If you have any issues with this transaction or you wish to cancel the order and get the amount refunded back, please reach out to our support team immediately.

For Assistance Contact Toll-free # +44 116 504 7374

Cõrdiãlly,

Genevieve T. Smith Consumer Handling & Account Tëam

First of all, it doesn't use any identity I use for paypal transactions, so its clearly a fake. Secondly why all the Spanish accented characters? Thirdly, it doesn't seem to invite me to a website Fourthly, the number it specifies is a well known scam number and is certainly not 'Toll-free' Fifthly we don't say 'Toll free ' in the UK. We just stay FOC or 'free'... Sixthly, this is the third or 4th email saying the same thing. Seventhly, what UK company us 'Inc.' rather than 'Ltd' And finally its from:

Genevieve T. Smith snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

I mean, which valid company uses a gmail account to send e-mail? Where the name completely doesn't match the email address!

The whole thing reeks of the Piranha brothers Plan.

Is there anyone stupid enough to fall for this?

Feel free to email the email or call the NotToll-Free number and f*ck around with the scammers

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I imagine so, or why would they bother?

Reply to
R D S

is there a Target in the uk?

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

doubt it that would be the first give a way

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

maybe the accented chars vary per recipient, to throw spam detection off the scent?

were you viewing the plain text, and there was a html version with a linky?

Reply to
Andy Burns

If the 8 of them I got this morning to various addresses, nope - they are close to identical.

Reply to
John Rumm

Indeed, but they are hoping you will not spot that...

Either careless creation or an attempt to evade content matches on spam filters.

They wan you to phone their Indian call centre... (with a UK looking VoIP number)

Careless repurposing of a US targeted script

Yup - the all have names in the form First, initial, surname. Probably more US centric again.

Yup, the sad thing is people still don't pick up on that.

Oh yes!

Reply to
John Rumm

No linkies.

I did a 'who phoned me' search and the 'Toll free' number is a premium rate number associated with various scams.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

+44 116 504 7374 is a geographic number like others starting 01 & 02
Reply to
Robin

looks like a Leicester number to me ... bog standard 0116 whatever

Reply to
Andy Burns

Leicester

Reply to
charles

Still premium rate allegedly

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Perhaps the intention is to annoy/blacklist the phone number above?

Reply to
Martin Brown

There aren't any 01 numbers which are premium rate

Reply to
Andy Burns

But do it from a company phone. I've never seen this one but I'm forever seeing virgin, vodafone,and other telecom companies and carriers and all maner of so called shipping info, none of which are anything to do with me. The latest is Asda rewards program,which in fact exists and I've never signed up.

While writing this my home phone rang just once, then cut. 1471 gives a number but dialling it back gives number not recognised. I get the same on mobiles except their twist is to make it a 1.18 quid connection fee. I have had a word with Vodafone who say they cannot block them, but can stop me ringing them back. weird. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Alleged by whom?

Reply to
John Rumm

No they own other outlets though, whose name escapes me at the moment. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

someone alleged wrongly then :-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Alleged by whom?

Reply to
Roger Mills

They're playing the long game. By sending such obvious scam emails, they're gradually grinding you down. One day you'll receive an email written in good location-appropriate English, with a credible address and...

Well, maybe.

Reply to
Clive Arthur