OT: How does this scam work, then?

I've received several emails over the past few months which say things like "This is a reminder that Invoice invoice number is now overdue. As per my Terms and Conditions, a late payment fee will apply if payment becomes overdue by 14 days after which a late fee applies."

There's no attachment for the unwitting person to open and no hyperlink for them to click on. The only thing that might happen is that they might harvest your address as an active one if you reply to say "what's all this about?".

The example I received today is particularly obvious as a scam because

a) it says "Invoice invoice number": I wonder if a script was supposed to substitute a made-up number in place of the text "invoice number"? ;-)

b) although it is signed with a British-sounding person's name, with job title "Finance Assistant", and there is an apparently genuine postal address and phone number, one rather important thing is missing: the company name.

c) the tautology: "a late payment fee will apply if payment becomes overdue by 14 days after which a late fee applies"

I had one a few weeks ago which had a genuine company name, as well as postal address, phone number, web site link and (apparently) sent from an address in their email address. I'd have thought it plausible except for the fact that I have never dealt with that company.

Reply to
NY

It is a shotgun approach. Send enough out, but including the information, and some people, particularly large companies, might pay. At one time, when people still paid by cheque, the address would be something like an empty industrial or commercial unit with mail redirected to a temporary accommodation address. Today, I assume they would include details of the bank money is to be paid into. Again, a short-lived account.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

It's possibly also a prelude to a phishing or other attack. Get Accounts to reply saying 'we don't recognise that invoice, can you send more details', and then you send them a link saying 'please see the charge on our accounts system,

' or similar.

They know that spam filtering systems block mass emails with dubious links in them, so they reserve those for targets they've already got on the hook. Presumably the same also goes for bank details: don't send them to everyone (somebody will get the account closed), just send them to the victim.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Yes I wondered this as well since I saw one apparently from Virgin Media, and nowhere was there any bogus links or whatever, and return address was a gmail one Most peculiar. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff