Mole Grip sideways jaw movement

For some reason Travis Perkins have Irwin 10" mole grips for £6 at the moment. As I need one, that's what I bought. Yesterday.

There's about 2mm side to side play in the jaws. Is that unreasonable? I expected better from Irwin. Or, am I being unreasonable, as it's only £6?

Reply to
GB

My *real* Mole Self Grip Wrench has a little less than 1mm, and it is quite old.

Reply to
Max Demian

You buy cheap, you get cheap.

Reply to
Rob H

On conventional "vice grip" pattern pliers, it probably does not matter too much for conventional uses cases. (far more noticeable on long nosed versions)

Reply to
John Rumm

I think Irwin have sunk to the normal Chinese quality.

Unless you want to hold an item, I rather like these Swedish Pump wrenches:

Fredxx

Well, I would say the ones I bought many moons ago in a sale from Tandy, have nowhere near that play, but on the other hand a smaller pair do have a lot of play. I cannot say that unless I was trying to grip a very narrow nut or whatever, the play makes no difference, but in that one use case the side to side play can make them ping off as you do them up. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff