Update: Craftsman quick-grip clamps

So I really like the functionality of the Craftsman brand quick-grip clamps . And I was under the impression they were covered by the Craftsman lifeti me warranty. Alas, they are only covered for a year and you need a receipt to warranty exchange within that time period. DAMHIKT. Even still, I lik e the clamps, I just need to be more careful about working within the load limitations.

Anyone else have a preferred quick-grip style clamp they really like? JP

Reply to
JayPique

Can't say that I do. I have had a pair of "Quick Grip" brand clamps that I used quite a bit when I was building my clamp collection. They and my pair of Jet K style bar clamps are my last to go to clamps now. Neither of these clamps will easily exert as much pressure that my other clamps do with what seems half the effort. For short clamping distances, like holding work down to the work surface I much prefer to use my Hanson brand auto adjust clamping players.

Reply to
Leon

And I was under the impression they were covered by the Craftsman lifetime warranty. Alas, they are only covered for a year and you need a receipt to warranty exchange within that time period. DAMHIKT. Even still, I like the clamps, I just need to be more careful about working within the load limitations.

I have a bunch of the Quick Grips, some before they said "Irwin" on the side, I believe. I'm only a weekend home handyman, but I've found them incredibly useful. Every job requires a third, fourth and fifth hand, and that usually means clamps. The "one-handed" operation is a godsend when I'm on a ladder, or in a tight spot, or when I'm holding the object that needs clamping with the other hand.

I have six of the 6" size and six more of longer lengths. Do they squeeze as tightly as other types? No. Maybe that's a drawback for woodworking, at least in some applications. But I wouldn't give them up.

I have used them a lot, the oldest pair for ten years or so. And I haven't exactly babied them. They get tossed in a bucket and dropped on the floor pretty often. The only problem I've had so far was with one of the longer ones. For some reason, a 1" section of the bar has gotten a little corroded. As that's the only one with the problem, I tend to suspect that I got some substance on it in that spot, maybe ice-melt crystals. My garage is multi-purpose.

Reply to
Greg Guarino

ps. And I was under the impression they were covered by the Craftsman life time warranty. Alas, they are only covered for a year and you need a recei pt to warranty exchange within that time period. DAMHIKT. Even still, I l ike the clamps, I just need to be more careful about working within the loa d limitations.

I have about a half dozen of the HF 12 inchers in my collection. They work well and often are on sale for $2 per unit. Can't go wrong at that price.

Reply to
Gramp's shop

And I was under the impression they were covered by the Craftsman lifetime warranty. Alas, they are only covered for a year and you need a receipt to warranty exchange within that time period. DAMHIKT. Even still, I like the clamps, I just need to be more careful about working within the load limitations.

well and often are on sale for $2 per unit. Can't go wrong at that price.

They may well be different now, but I got a couple of the ones with the orange handles a number of years back. I figured the same thing: "can't go wrong".

I snapped the orange "moving" part of the handle off withing a minute after opening the package; the very first time I tried to tighten it on something. Chastened, I decided it was too much trouble to send it back; I'd just use the other one for really light-duty stuff. The very first time I used it, and even though I thought I was being more gentle, I snapped that one off too, nearly cutting myself on the jagged plastic edge in the process.

In case anyone is wondering, I consider myself well within the "average" range as regards grip strength.

Reply to
Greg Guarino

I have a bunch of 12 inch and 18 inch quick-grip clamps with black handles. Bought them when they first came out about 20+ years ago, the label on the handle says made by the makers of "vice-grip". I have tightened them many times as tight as I possibly can using two hands with no failures. I can only assume, as with many products, they learned how to make them cheaper in China, resulting in a product that is now functionally useless.

Reply to
EXT

ps. And I was under the impression they were covered by the Craftsman life time warranty. Alas, they are only covered for a year and you need a recei pt to warranty exchange within that time period. DAMHIKT. Even still, I l ike the clamps, I just need to be more careful about working within the loa d limitations.

I've had a lot of luck with the Crapsman quick clamps. I have the two small est ones and two the larger ones, I would guess three feet or so. The rubbe r ends are nice and grippy, and they give reasonable clamp pressure, like a n extra set of hands.

But they have severe pressure limitations. I would not, for example, use th em for gluing up.

I'm sad to hear the warranty is only a year. I didn't know that. I would gu ess I've had these for four or more years.

Reply to
Michael