Garage heating over winter months

Having tackled the steel door insulation in recent days it's time to think about the options for heating in the garage over the coming months. The intention is to try and keep the environment in a satisfactory condition to keep my tools and hardware happy, not try to maintain an optimum living temperature (except when I'm working in there that is).

I've ruled out paraffin heaters thanks to the comments made on this forum previously (they apparently produce lots of condensation, not good for tools).

What's the deal with wood burning stoves? Are these okay environmentally? I know coal fires are out, not sure about wood.

Electric fan sounds expensive. Haven't got a boiler in the garage so I can't put a radiator in very easily. No gas supply available either, so a gas fire is out. Bottled gas, maybe.

What other options are there?

PoP

Reply to
PoP

Forget bottled gas, even with a cat. heater its as wet as any other burnt fuel system...

Reply to
NJF

Has any one ever tried solar heating for a garage? I've always been tempted to try a few home-made roof panels (probs old radiators in some form of insulated box) dumping heat into a thermal store of bricks or something, probs with a thermostatic pump switch thrown in for good measure. Cost -- approx zero, net heating effect -- probs zero as well. Must do the calcs one day :-)

Seriously, though, might be enough to keep a tool cupboard aired.

Reply to
G.W. Walker

What about having a 100W lightbulb (or two) in a cupboard on 24/7. These give out quite a bit of heat and may well keep the damp out of a cupboard. Possibly put the bulb in an large old soup tin to stop the light getting out and blinding you.

David Hearn

For your use, the problem with solid fuels is likely to be less to do with environmental issues (no different from gas really) but the fact that they will need regular attention.

But, since using either coal or wood will need a flue I assume that you would be prepared to install one. In this case, the problems with condensation resulting from the burning of oil or bottled gas won't apply.

Insulation will be the most environmentally appropriate way forward combined with electric heating.

I'd consider a conventially flued bottled gas heater of some sort. I've never seen one personally, but I'm sure they must exist.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Nelson

What about a tube heater? The 2' ones are about 120w so ain't over expensive to run. A couple of them might be enough for background heating to keep tools cosy etc. and then a fan heater for use when you want to roast your chestnuts while working. Regards, Richard

Reply to
Frisket

Sounds like an idea.

I did think last year as winter was coming along about getting a tube heater to place under the cars engine bay, so that in the morning there would be a small amount of heat already in the engine.

Didn't get around to it though, and besides the aircon has a tendency to leave a small pool of water on the garage floor (which I painted this summer). I'd perhaps be a little worried about mixing electricity with water under there.

Talking of which, is it possible that painting the garage floor will have had a positive effect on the water content in the garage? For sure water doesn't go downwards now like it used to on the bare concrete floor, so I assume that water couldn't come back the other way. In previous years some of my unprotected tools (such as my bench drill table) have developed a very light layer of rust over them - nothing serious and easily dealt with.

Must remember to run an oil cloth over those bare surfaces shortly.

PoP

Reply to
PoP

This was covered here quite comprehensively about six weeks ago in a thread entitled (surprisingly!) "Heating a Garage" - would be well worth checking out.

David

Reply to
David

Thanks for that.