over winter onions?

Hi All,

My onions are just starting to bulb up. Some are the size of golf ball. Most are smaller.

The first freeze will be Wednesday night.

Should I just let them go over winter?

-T

I think if you overwinter them, next spring they'll flower instead of bulb up. Might as well just take what you can get ...

Reply to
Dan Purgert

pick the biggest ones and eat them or let them dry for storage and eat them when you get to them. the rest you can lift and keep in storage (let them dry first and then keep them in a cool dry and dark location) until next spring and plant them out again. some may flower but the smallest ones will give you a head start on them next season.

they are called starts. congratulations you've grown your own starts and onions. :)

some you will likely leave behind even if you try to harvest them all. or leave some behind intentionally to see how they do. that is how you learn... good luck and enjoy! :)

songbird

Reply to
songbird

I pulled the biggest one and any that were crowding each other. Left the rest in to over winter.

I have yet to dry an onion. I just eat the whole plant like a green onion.

I have two onions going on four years now in front yard flower circle. They scape up each year. Never thought to see if they have a bulb.

Course you usually can see the top of the bulb. These have nothing sticking out. Maybe I will cut off their scapes next year.

If they do not bulb up, I will just eat the whole thing like a green onion. I usually do that anyway.