Bulbing onion question (in need of advice)

This season I planted some Copra onions to let bulb and use as storage onions this winter. Two days ago, a storm came through the area with high winds. All the tops of my onions are laid over. They were about two foot tall and still green. My question is: what should I do? Should I just wait for the tops to turn brown and then dig them? Will they continue to grow with their tops laid over like this? They have started to bulb and some are pushed up out of the soil quite far already. Any advice please.

Thank You......... Rich from PA

Reply to
EVP MAN

As long as the bent over tops are still green, I'd leave them be - though you may want to put some mulch under the tops if that part of the garden isn't mulched already. But other than that, I'd leave them be, yes. They're probably hurt less than you think.

Tony M.

Reply to
Tony

Reply to
Bobo

I think you have to wait for other person to repira it!

You're not the professor for mending it!!

Reply to
Lucywu2012

There is no way I could mulch under them as it's just one big mass of tops laid over. Now, do I just wait for the tops to turn brown before I dig them? I planted the sets on April 15.

Rich from PA

Reply to
EVP MAN

Yes, you want to pull them before the tops deteriorate much. If it's real rainy do it sooner. If it's dry and you leave them in late..not much harm done. I jplant Copra from seed and do real well. You might try it next year. Prepare the ground in the fall and plant very early in spring. If your soil is heavy cover the seed with compost or sand so there's no crust to break thru.

Reply to
Bobo