Mild winter heating costs

I can't gauge these with any great accuracy since it's oil in a tank and not a meter reading like gas or electric but usage seems noticeably light this year. I moved into this house in May 2012 and brimmed the 1300 litre tank in August 2012 and after the cold winter it was near to empty in May 2013 and took 1150 litres when I had it filled again.

That was 9 months usage for a tankful on the first fill and we've just come up to that again now. I've been meaning to check on it for a while and finally got round to it today. To my surprise it's barely half empty. Maybe a tad over half down. OK so it doesn't include the last of the winter like last year but it's so mild this year that there isn't that much difference between winter and spring/autumn. So maybe 700/750 litres at 55p a litre plus VAT = £400 for heating and hot water for 9 months. I reckon it's 15% or more down on last year if you average it out to a full year so roll on more global warming I say. Plus the cost of heating oil has plummeted with the reduced demand. It's cheaper now than this time last year by over 10%.

Reply to
Dave Baker

My gas consumption this January was lower than last June and August, and only marginally higher than last July and September.

Reply to
Andy Burns

We're running at half last winter's usage of gas, and down on electricty.

Reply to
bblaukopf

I am running at even less than that thanks to collecting and chopping free wood pallets for my wood burner.

I've only had the gas heating on just 3 times since the winter of 2013. Each time it was because the house had been empty for a week and it would have taken the wood burner too long to heat up the house when we came back from Holiday.

I've been running the wood burner everyday and find I can heat the whole house up at 0.5 degree per hour. I have cavity wall insulation and double glazing.

Reply to
Stephen