Plug and chain for Belfast sink + worktops

Bought a Belfast sink from B&Q made by Astracast.

Firstly, I am pretty disappointed at the plastic chrome effect plug.

Secondly, how do I fit it? It comes with the usual type of fitting with a nut and bolt affair, but there is no hole on the sink for it! Any ideas?

Didn't get much response to my question about worktops. I want beech but would like it at a good price. Has anyone tried any of these online companies:

Mamy thanks in advance, Martin

Reply to
Martin

Screw it to the draining board if it's wood, or fit a strap around a tap?

Reply to
Rob Morley

You don't - Belfast sinks (AFAIK) didn't have such a hole for a plug chain. They'd have the chain (if any) attached around a tap, or screwed to the wall.

Don't screw it to the worktop. You're using beech AFAIR, and that's going to be a source of staining in the future.

Sounds like B&Q have bundled the wrong sort of plug fittings with your sink. But then what more can you expect from a big orange shed?

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Even with a brass screw?

Reply to
Rob Morley

Yes. Obviously oak and iron will stain in no time at all, owing to chemical reaction. Beech and anything (even just the hole) will encourage damp and bacterial or fungal action. As beech is a bit prone to this, I'd be concerned about dark staining around any exposed end grain that you can't keep well oiled.

Personally I wouldn't use beech for a worktop. If I were going to immerse it under varnish, I'd save the money and use melamine. For wood tops I would generally use local oak, otherwise maple or tropicals (ipe)

Reply to
Andy Dingley