PC just died :(

Have had to clone a few PCs today - identical Dell Vostro 430s - using Clonezilla. Halfway through the 2nd, the target machine just went blank, and the fan started whizzing up.

Now it won't boot, and there's no POST beeps. I have removed and replaced the AGP card, memory and CPU. I also swapped the PSU for another.

Luckily it's not the end of the world (so the client says), but I just wondered if there's anything else simple, before I put it on eBay as a paperweight ;)

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Any obvious signs of bulging pregnant capacitors near the memory or CPU regulators? Usually the magic smoke and gunge comes out but sometimes they just take on a rakish angle. High ripple capacitor lifetime is decidely finite - especially the ones with dodgy electrolyte.

Reply to
Martin Brown

One assumes no connector issues anywhere? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Motherboard could have died.

Reply to
Mentalguy2k8

Visual inspection doesn't reveal anything in-your-face obvious. I thought they'd improved capacitors recently ?

I'll look more carefully ...

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Well I removed and replaced memory and AGP card, and swapped PSU, so reseated the power cables. I also reseated the CPU.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

That was my guess - just odd for it to happen before your very eyes. All the PC failures I have seen up till now have been "go to turn it on. Dead"

Reply to
Jethro_uk

True, although I've known PCs that "play up" when they're on, so you reboot and of course they're dead from then on. I can't suggest anything (simple) that could be the problem that you haven't already replaced, apart from cables. It's not a good sign if you don't get any beeps at all and/or no error message on-screen. Sounds like a power problem, but if you've replaced the PSU then I'd say the motherboard has kicked the bucket.

Reply to
Mentalguy2k8

meow2222

Interesting tx

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Oh well ... all the others cloned OK, so it's not too much of an issue. I used a working PC to clone the drive to the dead one, so I have a spare drive ... if the clients got a spare PC, then we're in business.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

that's possibly some dodgy hardware. Try reseating everything that has a plug. If there are no beeps at all, and no bios screen appears, then its likely processor is not working enough to even ruin the self diagnostics.

If you can replace the Bios ROM or flash from a working machine that might work. Or a new processor - try swapping out,.

I've seen similar when CPU fans failed as well. Check that. leave in cold place overnight...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Have you tried the CMOS battery. Had a similar case where the computer failed to boot and no POST beeps. Took battery out, checked it and = voltage was OK. Put it back in and computer booted and no trouble since. Could be coincidence and I moved something else.

--=20 Claim nothing: Enjoy David: NorthWest England

Reply to
David

It's supposed to _run_ the self diags!

You could try it with no RAM, no graphics. It ought to beep then.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

I've had a couple with self trashing disc controllers but that was in the days of ide. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

One small glimmer though. Have you checked that the reset button switch has not shorted out. I don't know the one used here, but these seem to have some strange ways of just shorting out with no warning. I actually disconnect them now, as they tend to do more harm than good.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff