Outside condenser just died

What are my options in fixing this unit?

Reply to
Bob Callaway

Ask in the right place.

These people love this type of question, especially if it's a DIY.

Reply to
JW

One is tax credits.

Reply to
Oren

"Bob Callaway" wrote

Depends on why it died. Could be a simple capacitor, could be a motor, could be the compressor. Invest $75 to $100 or so in a service call to find out.

Don't forget abut energy rebates and tax credits if you go new.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Now that is just mean.

Reply to
aemeijers

Hi, Describe symptom. Sudden dead or was acting up? How old?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Wow! A great question to the mind readers. Perhaps you can be a little more specific and describe what is wrong and how you made the determination.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Call a service person for the particular brand that youhave - It might help to provide a little more information, it might just be a fuse for $2.00 or a whole new compressor for several thousand $$$$$ or anywhere in between.

Reply to
hrhofmann

I don't know what's wrong with the namby pamby sissies who want information before saying what to do.

Real men just use a crowbar to fix things. Be a real man.

Reply to
mm

Don't fall for this. Those people are jerks to DIY's.

Reply to
Bob F

Uh, did you check the circuit breaker? Perhaps it has a fuse or two, could be outside on the wall or at your main electrical panel. Many service calls I go on, I find something turned off, unplugged or tripped breaker.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Now thats a complete and thorough question any pro can help you with, just like my car just died what is my option of fixing it.

Reply to
ransley

I've learned a lot on the alt hvac news group.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

How many farads is your condensor?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Here is a typical adjustable plate condensor:

many farads is your condensor?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

This usually falls into 2 categories; 1 a bad condenser, which is an easy DIY if you can be trusted to cut the power before taking the cover off, and 2 something serious that calls for a pro. I always change the capacitors(s) first, most of the time it fixes it. There is a 3rd possibility, the cooling fan motor can go, a bit more difficult to diagnose, but not much harder to fix.

Reply to
Eric in North TX

First is there power to the unit, as one of the two in-line fuses can go out leaving the condensor blower motor working and not the condensor????

Reply to
hrhofmann