Getting rid of the smell of p!$$

Hi all

Have had an unfortunate experience recently with a lodger who moved out of my house and, unbeknown to me at the time, left me several gallons of his own urine in hundreds of cans, some of which spilt over and ruined the carpet. All the cans are now gone and the carpet has been ripped out so that I'm back to bare floorboards but, sadly, the stink remains. Can anyone recommend what I should use to scrub the floorboards as I've been advised that standard cleaning products wouldn't be enough..?

Cheers

Reply to
dustie

Probably worth visiting a pet shop as they usually have odor neutralising products. No idea how well they work.

Philip

Reply to
philipuk

Urinoff, and water. Get the worst off with water, and let the Urinoff do its work.

bleach works also BUT its corrosive stuff on wood. By the way a water carpet shampooer will restore the carpets adequately.

Reminds me of a bloke we shared a house with. He and he alone used the dowstairs toilet. One day we asked him why he had changed to the upstairs one 'the one downstairs is blocked' - and it was. Full to the brim with piss and shit and so was the entire drainage system, and every time we flushed the upstairs toilet the level rose.."How long has it been like that?" "Dunno: couple of weeks" "Why didn't you say anything"? "Dunno".

WE got in Dynorod and they dyno rodded it and cleared it, but honestly.. That's when I decided one room flats were better than shared houses.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

As reccomended by TMH, thanks Dave , Prochem B153 Urine Neutraliser

a couple of applications and some time, days , but does work.

Cheers Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

When I bought this house I had similar as previous owner had 4 small dogs, 2 of the bedrooms were `smelly` with urine I ripped out the carpets, I washed the floorboards several times over a period of a couple of weeks alternating between a mild bleach and then washing again with soapy water (nice smelling washing up liquid) to eliminate the corrosive effect of the bleach. I got rid of the smell after a week, and the floors were spotless :-)

Reply to
ss

I've found the "enzyme" type products worked really well for all kinds of nastiness that comes out of various holes of a puppy. The ordinary "odour neutralisers" tend to just mask the smell but the enzyme stuff actually seems to destroy any solids/liquid that might be lurking. It can be expensive, but worth it.

Reply to
Mentalguy2k8

As above. The expensive enzyme ones from the vet really do the job.

With regard to Prochem, I refer you to this UK.D-I-Y exchange from

2006:

David Lang: What you want is a product called Prochem Odour Neutraliser. This is what pro carpet cleaners use in old peoples homes. Mary Fisher: So why do they still smell?

mike

The other folk to have a chat with are the council. They often have teams that go around and get houses ready for new abusers, sorry, tenants and the urinating junkie is quite a common problem. I feel sure they know of sources for such chemicals.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

comes in 1.84 litres and smaller sizes. I use a spray bottle for application.

Reply to
alan

Personaly i'd use the ex lodgers face,

Reply to
Gazz

I don't have an answer, but I do have a weird question & another strange anecdote.

  1. Beer cans, paint cans, what kind?
  2. Some friends of mine were about to move out of a flat in New York City, & found a few used but reclosed cans of paint in one of the cupboards so they decided to touch up a few places (where picture hooks or pins had been, for example) before leaving. The rest of the cans just had paint in them, but one had a turd (as well as paint, I think). They didn't use that one.
Reply to
Adam Funk

Have you ever read "The Treatment" by Mo Hayder? ;)

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW