Taking the p or rather the smell away?

Friend just taken over house, previous occupier appeared to find problems targeting the downstairs W.C....

Other areas appear to have been popular with the dog.

Carpets and floorcoverings removed , the smell lingers, mainly chipboard flooring, any way of eliminating smell short of re-flooring?

Cheers Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

google urinoff

It works..eventually

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Don't know but my first thoughts are to tread charcoal or cat litter into it and brush up after two days. Wood ash may be another possibility.

Reply to
thirty-six

As in Peter Urinoff? I thought he was dead.

Reply to
PeterC

Spray the affected areas with diluted bleach.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

I had a similar problem when we moved into this house a few months back, the owner had 6 dogs and I am sure she used one room to keep all the dogs in as after a few weeks there was still a lingering smell. It was my intention to re-carpet a room at a time when it suited me but the smell was getting to me. I lifted the carpet and the underfelt and gave a couple of washes with bleach solution then over the next few days several washes with soapy water, mopping up any excess. By the end of the following week the smell had gone. It was wooden floorboards though not chipboard, dunno if that would make a difference.

Reply to
ss

Quite possibly, there's a reaction with ammonia and bleach and it could be sufficient to break dissolve the bonding agent between the woodchips, it will certainly likely affect the wood and make it humpty- bumpty but it can be cemented over.

Reply to
thirty-six

There are cat/dog urine smell killer sprays, plenty on Amazon with reviews & Ebay. Just beware if used with wild abandon they can leave an odour of their own - but that does go.

They kill the residual bacteria producing the smell, then use Oust or similar in the room a few times to kill any remaining odour. Bleach will kill such bacteria, but reacts with ammonia.

Works on human urine just the same, not sure they work on tiger urine but you should not find much of that.

Of course the previous owners may have buried something there... :-)

Reply to
js.b1

Friend just taken over house, previous occupier appeared to find problems targeting the downstairs W.C....

Other areas appear to have been popular with the dog.

Carpets and floorcoverings removed , the smell lingers, mainly chipboard flooring, any way of eliminating smell short of re-flooring?

Cheers Adam

Biological clothes washing powder/liquid.

Dilute to hand washing strength and dose area liberally! Give it time for the enzymes to work. May need repeat treatments, but cheaper than replacing floors!

A tip an older persons home owner once told me.....;-)

Steve

Reply to
Mr Sandman

Find a local Janitorial Supplies place in YP, ask for Prochem Urine Neutraliser.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Angle Grinder. Grind a piece of steel in close proximity to rags soaked in a volatile substance.

HTH

Reply to
The Other Mike

Ordered 5l of Prochem Urine Neutraliser on ebay, hope its not taken the wrong way as a house warming present ;-)

Taking the piss originates form Whitby , where urine was imported by the barrel load for gunpowder making, captains would be embarrased to admit their cargo down the pub and claim to be carrying something else, until accused of actually taking the piss..

Cheers Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby