dyson dC23 seems to have died?

In the middle of use, we unplugged it from one socket and moved to a socket in another room and it wont turn on!

So we left it plugged in pondering our next course and suddenly after an hour, it sprang to life.

Presumably some thermal cut-out switch cut in to stop it working.

Is there any way i can check what caused this or should i just carry on using it until it dies completely? Or is the cut-out switch cutting in a symptom of some blocked filter causing overheating pending cooling down?

Reply to
Amanda Ripanykhazova

I would certainly check all filters, and any areas where dust can build up, which you should do periodically anyway. I don't have a Dyson (I hate canister [no bag] vacs) but I assume that this video is accurate.

FWIW my daughter "inherited" a Dyson something or other when her aunt passed on. It was supposedly a $400 unit. It didn't work when she tried it (no suction), so I took a look at it. It was clogged in every place that it could be clogged and I basically needed a shower after cleaning every nook and cranny I could get to. Dust and hard packed dirt everywhere. Glad I did it outside.

After it was cleaned, I vacuumed a carpeted room at her house and it *seemed* to work fine. The beater brush spun like it was supposed and all of the visible debris was cleaned up. (Dark green rug, so the difference was very noticeable) The rug *looked* great. Then, as a test, I grabbed the $150 Sanitaire that I gave her for doing her car, stairs and other places that an upright can't do. I have the same model for the same reasons.

I put in a brand new bag and vacuumed the same carpet with the standard carpet brush - no beater bar. When I was done, the bag had a significant amount of dust and dirt that the Sanitaire sucked up from deep down in the carpet. The kind of dirt that wears away at the base of the carpet fibers and makes the carpet lose material over time.

While uprights have their place, I prefer a decent high suction bagged canister.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

Yes, there certainly Does seem to be an extent to which owners of these Dysons think that because it is bagless, it never needs cleaning. Lots of them seem to go like yours and get ultra-blocked by the filters etc! That is probably what has happened to mine, isnt it?

Reply to
Amanda Ripanykhazova