Part P, Elec regs and cost

On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 12:54:58 GMT, mike mused:

Yep. The NICEIC have always frowned upon this practice anyway but even more so since part p came about.

If you're not approved, then you don't work on anything domestic\part p related basically.

Reply to
Lurch

Ah so there are two things: a) Becoming an "approved person" who can do the work but not approve it - being someone who can both do the work and (self) certify it? If that is correct that (just now) it'd be a) for me. And I become an AP by...?

I think I need to read this whole thread again...

Reply to
mike

I thought you could, provided that you completed relevant paperwork at your local council, and then they inspected it afterwards (for a fee of course).

Alex

Reply to
Alex

On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 17:35:37 +0000, Alex mused:

lol, in a ideal world maybe. I don't know of a council that does this though, they just pass it back to you as an unapproved person, then you're knackered as no-one NICEIC can do it on your behalf and that's the end of that.

Reply to
Lurch

Are you talking about doing DIY or paid work?

Isn't Part P just a BCO matter in the absence of suitable self-certification?

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

"Those who can, do; those who can't, teach"

The man who said that obviously never taught......

Reply to
Sam Farrell

The courses in these places are not one-on-one the 'tutor/assessor' would typically have nearer ten than two students. There is big money to be made in this area thanks to {sh,j}ags == 2 office. And in order to keep these new businesses going the qualifications have expiry dates!

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Ah well....

Reply to
Andy Hall

On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 17:56:05 -0000, "Clive George" mused:

I've inquired to a couple of councils wihout detailing who I am or why I've done the job, not that it should matter, and the answer has been 'not our problem'.

Reply to
Lurch

Are you seriously claiming that only people who can self-certify can do Part P work? Coz if you look at any of the archives of this group you'd see that's not at all true. If the work is done by somebody who can't self-certify, it becomes a BCO problem. Pay the appropriate building control fee, and they have to inspect it/sign it off. This is definitely the case for DIY - and I suspect it ought to be for paid work too.

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 01:21:01 -0000, "Clive George" mused:

I'm very well aware of the fact it should be, it was my activities on this group pre-part p that taught me most of what I knew about it, which in turn led to me deciding to drop electrical works for a bit as it was looking like it would be a total c*ck up. I did a couple of jobs around the time that part p came in and a couple since that required certifications and the councils involved told me it wasn't their problem.

Further discussions with the BCO on one council proved fruitless and the BCO eventually told me that he was aware of the fact that the council should be able to but it's a cost issue as they have no-one within the council to sign the job off so therefore they won't, and that's the end of it.

I haven't tried in recent times to do it, I either get someone else to certify the job now as I work with a couple of local NICEIC reg'd companies or just ignore part p for the time being and stick the on the list of jobs t go back to when I become NICEIC registered later in the year.

Reply to
Lurch

What a bloody farce!

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Andy Hall wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@nt1.hall.gl:

Those that can, do Those that can't, teach Those that can't teach, teach teachers

Kind regards

Reply to
Richard Perkin

In article , Richard Perkin writes

No they don't, they get into government;(....

Reply to
tony sayer

It sure is! Hardly anyone seems to know that the hell is going on. I'm amazed that hundreds of "electricians" still listed in Yellow pages actually get work! Are they working illegally or what. For me anyway., looks like I can't even get off the starting blocks.

Reply to
mike

But doesn't Part P only apply to domestic installations? I understand non (part p) registered electricians can still rewire 3 phase installations on the local industrial estate, the streetlights, local church, cinema, shops or whatever.

James

Reply to
James

tony sayer wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@bancom.co.uk:

I forgot to add the (well known, but feel free to modify) next line:

Those that can't teach teachers, become consultants

Kind regards

Reply to
Richard Perkin

Just hysterical isn't it - this whole nonsense!

Reply to
mike