Pan Tiles

Many years ago I had the roof on my rear addition replaced as some of the tiles were broken, and not possible to get replacements easily. So I kept the old good ones as spares for the main roof. Which was also replaced ages ago. ;-)

Think they are called double pan tiles. They are about 2' x 2' Have two curved ridges in them.

Having a de-clutter of the cellar, and wondered if they have any value, or just take them to the tip?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Umm, what tiles do your neighbours have? :)

Reply to
GB

The common replacement roofs round here are slate - real or artificial. Older were done with concrete tiles. Not many left original. But even then I don't think every house had the same as built. It's one of those Victorian streets with a big variety of designs - although all basically similar.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'm sure those tiles are quite valuable to someone who has them on his roof. The question is how to find someone who needs them?

GB

A listing on eBay costs nothing and they might be what someone local is looking for. Or maybe a local reclaim yard will take them.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

They have some value to anyone with the right sort of roof. The ones to match my previous roof go for a small fortune in good condition as they were Victorian era handmade (and are required for listed building work).

I don't know what a recycling place will give you for them (not much) but I expect your local tip will charge you for disposing of hardcore. I have never tried to sell any of mine but I kept the best couple of dozen as spares for the village hall when my roof was redone a few years back.

A lot of mine had gone like flaky pastry due to freeze thaw action and were fit only for landfill.

Reply to
Martin Brown

I'm more concerned about finding a use for them rather than making money. And, of course, if someone collects them saves the bother of taking them to the tip. ;-)

Snag is I don't know of one anywhere nearby.

My local tip does have a skip for hardcore. But doesn't allow vans to that bit, so limited to what a car etc can carry.

These do seem to be in pretty good condition.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You're lucky. Ours charges £5 for a measly sized compost bag worth of hardcore disposal. It has resulted in a lot of rural fly tipping :(

(and for asbestos waste which to their credit they do also accept).

Reply to
Martin Brown

Our local one (Wandsworth, on the river in the apt named Smuggler's Way) seems to be happy to take anything that will go into a car or estate for free. Excepting 'chemicals'.

It's a relatively new facility. Replaced the old one perhaps 30 years ago. When all that river front was abandoned warehouses, etc. Now they've gone and replaced by v. expesive high rise 'luxury appartments'. Who are lobbying to have the waste transfer place closed.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It was very useful when I was refurbishing my daughter's flat, just off the Wandsworth One Way system.

Reply to
charles

Talk to your local roofing firm.

They will know if there is a demand in your area, and if there is they may well offer to take them off your hands and pay you as well.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David