Dodgy plug

STWNFI has what I believe is called a "Mother and Child" reading light. She recently complained that it was messing about, going off with no warning and not dimming properly. I assumed the dimmers were the cause of the problem because at some settings they worked. We have a second one in our holiday let, so as no one is in there this month I brought it round plugged it in and she was happy.

Two days later she complained the same was happening. Whilst playing around with the dimmers thinking they were the fault again I heard a crackling sound from the area of the socket behind a book case where the extension lead used for these was plugged in.

Once I shifted the bookcase and removed the plug from the extension the problem was obviously loose connections, all three screws hadn't ever been tightened enough to even touch the wires, and the areas around them were black.

Due to the inaccessibility of the socket this shop bought extension had been there for several years but only now caused a problem. If it hadn't been for the crackling noise I would be trying to replace the dimmers as the lights worked fine with them on some settings. Strangely full power worked better than reduced settings

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Probably welded it up a bit. I'd not actually suggest it was never tightened. I've seen these things just get loose due to collapse of the wire itself into a flat squashed lump. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Brian Gaff was thinking very hard :

Especially true, where the wire end has been tinned for ease of assembly.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Isn't that against some law or regulation?

Reply to
Max Demian

replying to Muddymike, Iggy wrote: Lucky find indeed and I'm glad it worked out so well...assuming you tightened everything up. Actually though, the full power setting working best isn't strange. Electricity acts like a magnet with connections and will make a secure path with a higher demand.

Reply to
Iggy

Interesting. The wire ends were indeed tinned. I replaced the plug and ensured all was tight.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

It ought to be, but not that I am aware. The tinning causes lots of problems, such as the OP reported. The terminal is tightened on the solder, the solder then creeps out of the way of the screw over time, pressure and temperature, leaving it loose and a poor oxidised connection.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield