Usign an electrical socket behind a kitchen cabinet

The last of my newly-extended run of kitchen floor cabinets is directly in front of an existing double mains socket, but as it happens, the fridge-freezer will stand right alongside the unit at the end of the run. Is there any reason why I shouldn't plug the fridge-freezer into that socket, cutting an access hole in the back of the cabinet? Looking around online I found at least one warning about possible heat build-up from a socket not fully open to the room, but that seems a bit extreme.

Many thanks.

Reply to
Bert Coules

"Usign"? Good grief. Apologies.

Reply to
Bert Coules

I dont know if its "allowed" but thats how our gas hob is connected to the mains.

It was like that when we moved in and AFAIK was setup like that when the place was built.

Alan

Reply to
AlanC

Thanks, Alan.

Reply to
Bert Coules

heat buildup from less than an amp? I don't think so.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

"Bert Coules" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@brightview.co.uk:

Will the access hole be large enough to allow you to unplug it and remove the fridge?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Certainly it will.

Reply to
Bert Coules

That was rather my view too, but it's good to have it confirmed. Thanks.

Reply to
Bert Coules

Our dishwasher was connected like that for 23 years.

Reply to
Huge

Thanks for that.

Reply to
Bert Coules

Our dishwasher is connected to a socket installed inside a base unit. The socket was installed by a qualified sparky when the kitchen was re vamped 10 years ago.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

I have met "heat buildup" from a socket once. It was in a timber framed barn wired by a "qualified sparkie", but he hadn't tightened the cable securing screws and there was a 3kW heater plugged in.

Reply to
charles

Some would say it is the best way to fit an appliance. Maybe better to mount the socket actually inside the unit, but a socket makes replacement easy and it makes disconnecting it in the case of malfunction certain and sure, unlike fused spurs and unmarked switches.

Tim w

Reply to
TimW

works here

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yup, that is fine. For something like a fridge there is little chance that you will need to isolate it in an emergency, so having to pull it out of its recess to unplug it is not really a problem.

(were it something like a tumble drier, then having a remote switch above the worktop to control the socket would be desirable).

Reply to
John Rumm

I installed the fee for our dishwasher as a single socket behind the kitchen unit. I used a deep surface box and cut a hole so that it stuck through slightly into the cabinet. Then a double pole switch wit neon above the worktop.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Yup, my preferred way of doing it for that kind of appliance.

Reply to
John Rumm

Love to know where that warning was published.

A fridge freezer takes well below the maximum 13 amps anyway.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The electrics for my gas hob too. A socket fitted for this purpose in the cupboard underneath.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

To avoid having a large hole in the cupboard side or back, you could cut off the plug, thread the cable through a small hole and fit another plug.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)