Suggestions for temporary outside screen/wall?

I have quite a long, straight drive leading from the road up to my garage. I quite often have the doors open when I'm on the drive eg working on the motorbike, as I was doing today. It's a pain if I need to go in the house for a bit, as I always worry if I leave stuff out that it's going to get ni cked.
I thought to myself today - wouldn't it be nice to be able to erect some so rt of folding/collapsible screen about 2 meters high right across the drive , about 3 metres in front of the garage doors, to form a 'private' are at w ork in? It would need to be a temporary thing that I could easily erect an d remove at will, but ideally substantial enough to be left in place for a while if required. So, stable and weatherproof. I certainly wouldn't expe ct it to be secure against thievery, just a screen to hide the goings-on fr om passers-by really. The area concerned is bounded by high solid walls at either side, about 3 metres apart, and FWIW the drive is block-paving.
Anyone got any bright ideas?!
On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 15:36:36 -0800 (PST), Lobster

Not sure if it's a bright idea as such but what about a pair of gates? You say you have walls either side and I have seen other do the same to provide a reasonably private and secure 'yard' or 'forecourt' (that they actually rebuilt a kitcar in).
You can always leave the gates pinned back when you aren't working there?
The gates (or one big gate) could be proper substantial wood or metal in whatever style would be considered suitable for where you are or even something lighter like some polycarbonate twinwall (I think they do coloured stuff or maybe tinted) fixed to some batten or light steel to make the 'hinge' side?
Cheers, T i m
On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 15:36:36 -0800 (PST), Lobster

Keep it simple, Pair of gates . They won't look out of place like anything else would and will be simple and quick to use. With anything more complicated that takes time to put in place there will be a temptation not to bother to use it for just a quick job.
G.Harman
On 19/02/17 23:36, Lobster wrote:

Bamboo screening? Something like this cut to 3m: http://www.diy.com/departments/bamboo-screening-roll-2-m-4-m/255193_BQ.prd
Maybe with clips on both walls so it can quickly be put up and removed. In my experience it should last several years.
--

Jeff

On Monday, 20 February 2017 07:29:01 UTC, Jeff Layman wrote:

e sort of folding/collapsible screen about 2 meters high right across the d rive, about 3 metres in front of the garage doors, to form a 'private' are at work in?
Thanks for all the suggestions, including the 'gate' ones. Unfortunately t hat's not going to fly for two reasons: firstly, because one of the walls f eatures a large window, and a gate would occlude that when open (which woul d be 95% of the time) and block the view/light when close. Secondly, you h ave to remember the main reason I tend to work out on the drive is because my garage is piled high with crap... if I was to create a reasonably secure area outside behind a new gate, then I know that would soon suffer a simil ar fate! At best, I'd end up with the gates permanently closed, which is d efinitely not the intention as the drive is needed as is.

I think that might just do the trick - certainly worth a go anyway. It wou ld still need some sort of support in the middle - 3m is too big a span to expect it to free-stand - maybe a heavy-duty parasol stand would work. Wil l think on this further.
Thanks David
On Tue, 21 Feb 2017 12:09:10 -0800 (PST), Lobster

Get an old plastic bucket, preferably one slightly tapered top-to-bottom*. Half fill with concrete, into which you embed a short length of plastic waste pipe. Allow to set; tip out and repeat as often as necessary. *to allow easy removal of concrete moulding.
--

Chris

On Sunday, 19 February 2017 23:36:38 UTC, Lobster wrote:

Gates. PIR detector on the drive and a chime inside the house and in the garage. CCTVT camera above the garage door. Large dog.
Owain
snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com wrote:

I'd forget the dog, but I'd go for a remote controlled gate. A friend of mine has one of these, which I'd never come close to before (and thought they were for the toffs, which my mate is not).
His gate is a rolling one, and is (actually) about 3m long - the width of your drive. God knows how much it cost -- it was probably fairly minor compared to the house he built behind it! However it's damn' useful: he doesn't live in a dodgy street, but it's the sort of area that has dodgy people wandering round it on foot "on the look-out".
I appreciate that this is a ridiculous high-end solution -- I'm just sayin' though!
J.
On 19/02/2017 23:36, Lobster wrote:

Well gates sound so conventional... how about digging a moat, and then having a temporary bridge you can lay out for when you want to cross it? ;-)
--
Cheers,

John.
On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 15:36:36 -0800 (PST), Lobster

Something here? http://premierbarriers.co.uk/catalog/screening-c-55.html
--

Chris