Magnetic catch to hold window open against outside wall

Our new French Windows are going in to the bedroom today. They are designed to open back on themselves so that the fit flush with the outside wall, so in the summer we have a nice wide opening with nothing in it.

Our bifolds have magnetic catches to hold the traffic door open, and these are magnets inside plastic, but both parts are like elongated doorstops as the door stands quite proud of the next door.

So we really need some magnetic catches which are weatherproof and very slim in profile.

Google keeps on showing me the magnetic catches used on cupboard doors.

Does anyone know of a weatherproof catch?

Or, for example, a plastic material with embeded magnetic bits which can be cut to shape?

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

You can get self adhesive nickel plated neodymium magnets at 2mm thick and thinner with substantial grip capablity upto 3kgf onto mild steel. They should resist the weather fairly well although a coat of yatch varnish or white gloss might be wise - they are rather brittle.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Thanks.

seems to have a selection.

Are you saying that I only need one magnet, and some mild steel for it to fix to? I note that you can get discs with a countersunk hole which might make things easier.

Only issue then is stopping the mild steel from rusting. Hammerite perhaps.

Cheers

Davev R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

seems to have a selection.

Cheapest way if the grip is sufficient. Or you can get opposite handed magnets N polarity and S polarity outward facing with almost twice the pull. The more powerful ones are capable of giving you a painful nip.

You can probably find a rust resistant but still magnetic steel offcut. Mild steel and paint is still the cheapest though.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Maybe try a caravan/static homes parts site?

Reply to
Mentalguy2k8

I don't know about that, but to me, magnets are not a great choice for holding doors open. I suppose its fine if there is no way that the wind could possibly get behind the door, but as magnets have a very short pull in range, its a case of once it loose it means trouble. I'd be tempted to just put some form of wooden turning hasp thingy on the wall that blocks it when you want to myself.

Ok its manually operated, but...

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

On the static home theme again, I've seen exterior doors with a small(ish) shaped plastic bit sticking out of the door which locks into a "catch" on the outside when the door is fully open, doesn't take much of a pull on the door to release it but it would withstand wind.

This kind of idea:

Mentalguy2k8

In message , David WE Roberts writes

Give it the occasional quick squirt of WD40, and it'll probably outlast the house.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

the 'caravan door catch' thing on a previous external door, but it isn't as neat as a magnet. Wood turning hasp is an interesting idea, and easy to do.

Reply to
David WE Roberts

Zinc-plated washer? Carriage bolt head? Passivated wood screw?

Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

Would searching for magnetic switches (as used in bugler alarm systems) reveal anything suitable? The switch is two part - a reed switch and a magnet.

Reply to
alan