Letter box problem

Even a single day's post delivery is often enough to make getting into our front door a stressful challenge. The material easily gets jammed, presumably because there is such a small gap below the door and the mat.

Assuming that this isn't a rare problem, what are the preferred methods of others for solving it please?

Reply to
Terry Pinnell

Get your self one of those little yappy dogs, it'll shred the post for you whilst you are out, allowing it to be slid accross the mat when you open the door when you get home :)

actually, the dog subject may hold the solution... one of those wire cages you put over the inside of the letter box to stop dogs eating the post, stops it getting on the floor in the first place.

Reply to
Gazz

A letter cage

The only problems with them are whether there is enough space behind the door to allow it to open with a cage fitted, which does not seem to be a problem in your case, and that some very large letters can be difficult to get in, so the postman may leave them sticking out of the letterbox.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Drop mat into a mat well, with brass edging.

Fit a letter cage around letter box:

Though that looks quite a wide letter slot, check width of cage before purchase. If you get packets that normally fit through the slot a cage might stop the larger ones being posted fully through.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Not a direct answer, but I have often wondered why public buildings always have exit doors that open outwards for fire escape reasons etc, yet domestic premises have doors that open inwards. I reckon that, not only wouldn't the build-up of post be a problem but burglars would have a harder time forcing the door too.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

Harder to force, maybe, but it leaves the hinge pins exposed, which could p rovide a different vulnerability if they're not designed for the purpose. M y door from the garage into the garden is outward opening, and the hinges h ave additional bolts which hold the door closed even if the hinge pin is re moved.

Reply to
docholliday93

Take that inner flap with the brush off. The postman will then be able to put letters through without crumpling them up, and they'll spread out more across the floor.

I speak as one who delivers neighbourhood association fliers - single sheets of A4. Those brush things are a menace. If the letter box is draughty put a better spring on it, the postman can hold that open while he puts the letters in.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

I find strong springs a serious nuisance when trying to put a sheet of A4 through.

Reply to
charles

You have a letter box at the bottom of the door?? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Roll the flyer up so that it resembles a baton and push through the brush. If there is one side of the flyer that you want to attract attention, roll it on the inside so that it faces upwards as the flyer unrolls itself on the mat.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

Thanks Colin. I was thinking about those, although they don't look very attractive IMO. From some rough measurements the door would not open quite fully, but that would only possibly become an issue when occasionally moving large furniture/appliances in or out, so temporary removal would solve that.

Another snag is that it would mean screwing into the door. BTW, those at Discount Locks don't come with the plastic screws they say are needed for UPVC doors. I was hoping a cage could be fitted to the existing letterbox, perhaps using its existing two screws under the lid.

One idea I'm considering is making up a sort of 'slide' made of cloth or plastic sheeting and a couple of thin pieces of wood or stiff wire.

Lightweight and collapsible, stored behind a slim cupboard we have opposite the door, I'm thinking it might be possible to improvise a simple means of attaching it quickly when required.

Reply to
Terry Pinnell

Thanks Dave. But I don't follow your first suggestion. As shown in the photo, the mat is already in a shallow well.

Reply to
Terry Pinnell

I know you can't see the picture, It shows it in the usual place, a little less than half way up.

Reply to
Graham.

It would help Brian if you told him the gap under the door when it opens is small and the mail on the floor jams the door not the letter flap.

Reply to
dennis

Didn't look like that to me, no edging strip of any sort. Make the well deeper?

I was also thinking of a slide type idea or just a U channel to catch the mail. Another possibilty is a cloth bag attached around the letter opening (clamped under the flap) with a velcro fastened slit get at the mail inside or maybe just a few inches overlap would do.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

One option would be to fit a separate external letterbox. Only you can judge the relative inconvenience/ security implications.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Why not a box on a post at the fence line?

Reply to
F Murtz

provide a different vulnerability if they're not designed for the purpose. My door from the garage into the garden is outward opening, and the hinges have additional bolts which hold the door closed even if the hinge pin is removed.

A good point, which I hadn't thought of before. I like the solution too.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

Doors that open outwards can be a problem in domestic properties. My parents have a porch where the outer door opens outwards. The milkman regularly left bottles on the step outside it. Catch 22. They no longer have milk delivered.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

Or fit a vertical letterbox through the wall nearby.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW