'Moving' a socket

Hi

I want to hang a bookcase on a wall where it will cover an existing double socket which is not surface mounted. I need a socket in that part of the room so the easiest solution is to mount an extension lead on the wall beside the bookcase and plug it into the existing socket. However, only

4-way extension sockets have holes for wall mounting and there is only room for a double socket between the bookcase and the doorframe, so the 4-way would have to be mounted vertically which is a little unsightly.

An alternative would be to surface mount a new double socket. I don't want to hard-wire it into the old socket because then I would have to surface mount the old socket and the bookcase would be away from the wall. I certainly don't want to have to channel the wire into the wall.

Is it permissible to connect the new outlet to the existing one using a 13A plug or would that be against regulations or good practice?

David

Reply to
Aldrich

The charger for this laptop is plugged into a 6 way trailing socket made by Belkin, and it has wall hanging holes at the back.

As for your last question, it would seem illogical if you could hang such a piece of lightweight plastic on the wall yet not a well made MK double socket with back-box. I suppose the answer is both scenarios are bad practice if they are intended to be permanent.

Perhaps someone can give a definitive answer.

Reply to
Graham.

It perhaps isn't strictly best practice :-) but it is often possible to take a surface mounted cable into a flush mounted socket by just scraping a bit of plaster away from next to the socket and taking the cable through the gap between the faceplate and the backing box.

Or you can pull the socket faceplate forward a bit using the "decorative" switchplate surrounds as sold in B&Q Etc

I think it's permissible, but not particularly nice.

Best way would be to spur off a double socket to a new flush socket, and chase the cable into the wall, making a proper permanent job of it.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

You can buy two way extension lead such as

the fuse in the plug is rated to protect the cable you can make up any kind of extension lead. Not best practice but the way of the future now that part P makes changes to permanent wiring so expensive.

dave

Reply to
dcbwhaley

Dunno, but that's how I wired up my benching of kitchen units :-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thanks for all the replies, they were helpful.

David

Reply to
Aldrich