Slate tiles - any reclaim value?

My parents are having the roof replaced on their late-Victorian 4-bed semi. From memory it's the original slate tiles. ISTR reading somewhere ages ago that these may have significant salvage value - is this the case? Anyone have any idea of a value for a 4-bed roof-ful in NE London, obviously in variable condition hance need for replacement?

Reply to
Mike Harrison

Have a look on ebay... look at completed items for a price guide.

mark

Reply to
mark

that these may have

in variable condition

They will obviously have some value. You can phone a reclamation yard for a quote.

Last time I did that for some concrete pan tiles I had over, I was quoted a "buy" price of £100 per thousand (and a "sell" price of £200 / per k). I expect you will get more for slate.

(in the end I did a deal with a neighbour - took 1100 tiles off my roof, shifted them 5 houses round the close, and let him stick em back on his roof in exchange for £150) ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

that these may have

in variable condition

Are they actually having all new slates on? Usually on a slate reroof the original slates would be reused - it's usually the nails and laths that have deteriorated. I'd expect 75% of the slates to be reused at least - that's one of the advantages of slate as a material.

auctions

The overlap part of used slate can soften and return to grey clay. Tapping gently should produce a ring rather than a dull thud. I recovered around 75% as above when re-roofing some Victorian farm buildings.

18" x 9" were 50p ea. from salvage people but harder to find than 20" x 10". There were some cheap Chinese imports about at the time. They were almost black and lacking any character.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

that these may have

in variable condition

We had our slates re-fixed and, yes, about 20% needed replacing at £1 apiece from a local roofing supplier. If they "ring" when you hit them with your knuckles they're ok. The job worked out the same price as new Redland 49ers but you need a roofer who knows his slate

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Re roofing is worked out by the m2 (square meter) also how many hips and valleys there are. It also depends on the type of slates or tiles to be used. Plus scaffolding and waste disposal skip.

The sound salvaged slates do have a reclaim value. But before you think of profit, they have to be sorted, carried down off the roof and then transported to the roofing merchant or reclaim yard. You don't get many in a car plus they are very dirty and heavy. The bigger the slates the more they are worth.

Also check to see if any salvaged slates haven't been allowed for in the quote or make sure you demand them. Its usual to let the Slater or tiler have them as a bit of gratuity do to the inconvenience of sorting the sound slates and getting them down to the ground.

Reply to
keith_765

And who guarantees the slates ? From my experience the max you re use is more like 40% and to get the other

60% you need 100% to get 60% sound slates.
Reply to
keith_765

these may have

variable condition

Ask a reclaimer who deals with them.

When the council did the roofs here they reckon they got 500 quid a pallet for the old ones. Was wicked watching them throw and stack them.

Reply to
Mogga