Laminate slate tiles

Has any one else had problems fitting Ceramic Style Black Slate Glueless Laminate.tiles I recently purchased these at homebase and have had nothing but problems. You click them together and thats the problem you cannot work around obstacles like pipe work, if the row you are laying is long. One end will clip in while the other end will not I purchased these from homebase but think that they will all be the same from different suppliers. Take this as a warning thanks

Reply to
MartinB

Most of the click together systems are a pain to use. YOu need to click all the tiles / boards etc in the row together first, and then click the whole row into place. It often helps to have two people.

Reply to
John Rumm

Weird, I haven't found this at all. I've found click systems much nicer to use than glued ones.

When I do it, I don't make up one whole row and click it. I click them in individually, doing the long side first, then tapping it along to click the short sides together.

Reply to
Grunff

Ah, that sounds better. What brand of flooring was that?

All the ones I have tried have no "slide" once assembled, and require that you tilt the board up to get it to insert into the slot on the next one. Obviously this makes it next to impossible to make both joints at once since you can't tilt on two axis at once. Hence I had to do all the end to end joints on a row, tip the whole lot, and insert along the length. Made me wish I bought to glue together stuff!

Reply to
John Rumm

Homebase own brand, heavy-ish duty, can't remember what it's called. Around £10-£15 per square metre. I've also done the same with Pergo click-together.

I think most (possibly all?) of the click togethers can be 'tapped' in rather than tilted in. There's a special profiled tapping block which avoids damaging the edge profile.

Reply to
Grunff

I thought they were all like that!

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

As mentioned elsewhere in the thread, you click them in one at a time to the previous row and then join them by sliding along the row, using the tapping block. To get round, e.g., a radiator pipe, cut a 15mm hole where the pipe will go then cut a slot with a fine tooth saw from the end of the plank to the hole. Keep the bit you cut out of the slot. Now click the plank in place and slide it up to the wall (leaving the expansion gap) and fit the bit you kept, to fill the slot. If you have a pipe at both ends of the same row then I think you're stuffed!

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

No, just lock a few packs of the boards into the room with a Fein Multimaster, leave them overnight and by morning the Multimaster will have fitted the lot for you.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

..and/or cut down the bits on the click bit and glue them in place.

Reply to
adder1969

That's the theory. In practice it's never really worked for me, easier to do a whole row at once.

Reply to
djc

I never got them to slide once I had clicked them far better with the glue ones

Reply to
MartinB

I've just done two floors with two different brands and both slid. They did take a bit of a knock to do it sometimes but I think it would be a right pain to try to do a whole row.

Reply to
Geoff Berrow

Update.

Just done another floor with heavier duty flooring and the instructions recommended no sliding so it was a two man job. Not too difficult though.

Reply to
Geoff Berrow