Radiant for Old Gas Fire

Mother has an old (1970s) New World Type 722 wall-mounted gas fire.

One radiant element appears to have been broken by a visiting Corgi. (He swapped the elements round as the centre element was somewhat discoloured.)

Is there any chance of gettting a replacement? Or is it better simply to bite the bullet now and fit a new fire?

She did say something about one that had a flame effect of some sort. Are any of these efficient enough to be worth considering? (She only uses the fire to provide the focal glow and a bit of warm feeling - the house is fully centrally heated). In case it is relevant, the fire is flued through a small hole into a full chimney that originally had a coal fireplace.

Reply to
Rod

If he broke it get the c*ut to replace it

Reply to
RW

The problem being (he says) that they are not available from normal suppliers. (I think that quite likely given its age.) Hence asking here if there is a chance of getting one. I'd wager that I stand a much better chance by asking you and looking around the web than he does asking his usual sources.

Reply to
Rod

Get her a red lightbulb under a coal effect plastic thing with a fan driven by the bulb which rotates and makes the flame flicker effect.

Reply to
Mogga

And try to use a CFL to save electricity??????

Reply to
Rod

Dunno. Does that generate the heat to power the fan thing? It only goes round cos of the warm air. We had one of these things when I was a kid. It had three electric bars on the front but it was never put on as we had central heating. (Which we were also forbidden from ever putting on)

Reply to
Mogga