preparing a fireplace for a gas fire

I have a currently disued fireplace in the lounge, which I want to have a gas fire fitted to, but I have a few questions first.

The fireplace has a brick chimney, I've scraped out the dodgiest of the mortar and replaced it with new stuff (It's not what I'd call a perfect job though). There are some sound but unnattactive tiles around the front of the fireplace which I'd like to change.

Can I just tile over the existing ones, or would it be better to remove the old tiles first? Do I need special heat-proof tiles?

Also, I've noticed that in winter I do get some dirt coming down the chimney when it's windy, though not a huge amount. Would I need to get the chimney swept before I had a gas fire installed?

There's already a gas point for the fire. Thanks for any tips.

Reply to
floopythecat

Not sure about this but I've a feeling current regs require a liner to be fitted to the chimney where a new installation is taking place. This will not be cheap. Of course, I suppose if you had a gas fire there before, then in real terms nothing will change if you put another in, even if not strictly within the regs. I believe it is something to do with the possibility of a carbon monoxide leak through a possibly leaky brick chimney.

As to the dirt, I imagine sweeping would be best, though I have chimneys that date from the '30's, with lime mortar used in the construction, and there is a small but steady rain of small particles of sooty lime mortar in my disused fireplace, so sweeping the chimney won't necessarily prevent dirt from accumulating.

Andy.

Reply to
Andy

We have just had a new gas fire fitted, the sort with imitation coal. It was a gas fire with a back boiler before. The people fitting the fire insisted on taking out the liner and sweeping the chimney. I don't think there was anything wrong with the liner and they had not seen it before saying it had to be removed.

Simon

Reply to
Simon

thanks for the info, I'd never even heard of chimney liners before!

will check out prices next I think

Reply to
floopythecat

In which case I strongly recommend that you get some professional help with this installation.

It is mandatory that the chimney is swept if the chimney has been used for any other fuel before it is used for gas. It's a good idea anyway.

The chimney will need to be examined, the terminal, smoke tests performed. Including checking for smoke into the roof space, other rooms and other chimneys. Whilst plain round open pots are acceptable you may need something to keep that keeps rain and/or fauna out.

Liners are required for back boilers. Liners may/must/must-not be used on gas fires according to the manufacturers instructions for the fire. If a liner is used it will come down to a register plate or a purpose made box.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

I thought that all new installations for gas fired appliances needed a liner.

Which sort must NOT be used with a liner, and why?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I would be interested in knowing that too. I haven't done much research into the subject yet but I need to install a living flame gas fire for my old mum one of these days, and the work/expense in getting a liner installed first has put me off it.

If I could get a gas fire that was OK to exhaust into a brick chimney, with just a preliminary sweep and smoke test, that'd be good news indeed. I could afford to get one in for Christmas. I shall do some searching and let people know if I find any relevant info.

Andy.

Reply to
Andy

Off hand I can't think of any examples which are forbidden to use with a lined chimney, there are models which are not suitable for use with a pre-cast block flue system.

Many of the grate burner and inset live fuel effect type are suitable for use with an unlined Class I chimney in good order.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Interesting, I'll look into it, there was a radiant gas fire feeding my chimney until five years ago, it's encouraging that I may be able to replace it with a living flame gas fire without too much palaver and clinging to the rooftops!

Andy.

Reply to
Andy

It should be OK. BG installed a gas coal-effect fire (replacing a radiant one) for us with a visual examination and a smoke test with no need for a liner. (The fact that we found it a complete white elephant, never used it and later converted it back into a proper fire for logs/coal using a Jetmaster firebox, which has been excellent, is a different story!).

Bob Mannix

Reply to
Bob Mannix