Re: canbus

lost a dippd beam bulb the other day .....only knew by the reflection

> from the car in front....I thought canbus was supposed to warn you of > this....or is it just another digital thing that doesn't work properly > ? .....

It's worked well on my last two cars. Only two I've had with it. If only they could make rain sensing wipers that work properly. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Jim GM4DHJ ... explained on 20/11/2017 :

It should, if it is a fully implemented can-bus system covering all of the road lighting. Mine flagged up a loose plug on a headlight.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Are the designers of rain sensing wipers the same people saying we will all be using driverless cars by 2021? :-)

Reply to
Bill

Bill has brought this to us :

I don't think driverless cars will need wipers :')

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

*applause*
Reply to
Huge

Yup :-)

tim

Reply to
tim...

were you still able to use main beam ?.

My astra H lost its offside main-beam bulb so the ECU refused to allow any use of main beam at all, presumably to force the driver to investigate.

Reply to
Andrew

Will a queue of driverless cars, waiting at traffic lights all move off at exactly the same time, or will it be the usual yo-yo effect as each car waits until the car in front has started to move ?.

There is nothing to stop each vehicles canbus to be synched with those waiting behind.

Reply to
Andrew

AFAIK, one of the essential requisites for autonomous vehicles is that they "talk" to one another.

Reply to
Huge

would a Bentley talk to a Skoda?

Reply to
charles

Since they are both VWs, I would imagine so.

Reply to
Huge

I'd expect a Bentley to have a servant to deal with Skodas

Reply to
Robin

And just think of the opportunities that will offer to evil hackers.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

Well the truck convoys they will be trialing on the M6 north of Lancaster are proported to move as one. I note that they chose the the M6 north of Lancaster, this is a very quiet stretch of motorway with very few junctions...

They aren't autonomous then. But being told what other vehicles are doing and possibly what they intend to do a few milliseconds ahead makes the problem of an "autonomous" vehicle a much simpler problem to solve.

I'm still not convinced that such a vehicle will pick up on visual only clues about what might happen in the future. The ball rolling out from between parked cars (followed by a child not looking?).

And of course what does it do in the case of the avoidable collision with a person but to avoid that, it has to drive into a tree...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Almost certainly - they are both VW group vehicles so share loads of components under the skin anyway :)

Reply to
David

That's what I said yesterday.

Reply to
Huge

In English, Chinese or Esperanto ?

Reply to
Andrew

I look up to HIM because he is upperclass, and I look DOWN on him because he is lowerclass ....

Reply to
Andrew

I think JSON vs. XML is likely more apposite.

Reply to
Huge

Although you may struggle to say which way round they are in this case.

Reply to
Huge