Automatic windscreen wipers and frost

Anyone got automatic windscreen wipers? I'm told the Fiesta ones actually come on when it's frosty, and rip the blades off. You'd think they'd have a temperature sensor?

Mind you manual is as bad, I've yet to see a car which flicks the wipers to off when you turn off the engine, otherwise the next morning they try to wipe when frozen and you lose the rubber!

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I always pour a bit of *tepid* (not hot) water over the wipers and screen if there's frost on the screen, to free the wipers. I then make sure the wiper switch is set to off before turning the ignition key.

Reply to
NY

How do you remember to do that?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

It's part of the standard "pre-flight checks" like making sure that the gear lever is in neutral (by trying to waggle it from side to side) before starting or stopping the engine (or at least letting up the clutch). I tend also to make sure that the oil and battery lights come on when I turn the ignition on and then go out when the engine is running, and check the amount of fuel I have.

Sounds laborious but it's a reflex action and only takes a couple of seconds.

Reply to
NY

by having something that you haven't got

a brain

HTH

HAND

tim

Reply to
tim...

I don't do any checks whatsoever. Putting it in neutral, then into gear when I stop is simply part of driving and done subconsciously, I don't have to think about it. But things like wiper, demister, etc, I only react to if there's a problem (like I can't see out of the window). The last tyre I changed was completely bald before I noticed it, and I only looked at it because the ABS kept activating when it wasn't that slippery. I do notice a flat tyre usually, only because I'm walking towards the car and it looks wrong, I don't deliberately check.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I keep my cars indoors.

Reply to
harry

I always find enough junk/tools/workshop/etc to fill all indoor spaces.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

still in the little cardboard box?

tim

Reply to
tim...

Why tepid? I run the hottest water I can from the hot tap and fling it liberally on to the screen. Been doing it for oodles of years with no problems.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I don't have a requirement to do that, called OCD.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

If in a hurry, I direct my shower at the car (the drive is outside the bathroom window). I use the temperature you would use to have a hot shower. I would think changing glass from 0C to 100C at once would cause cracks. Certainly the other way round can break cooking stuff.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

My last two cars have had them - rain sensing. But they cancel when you switch off the engine - even if you leave the switch in that position. You have to reset the switch after starting the engine. Anything else would be stupid.

FWIW, neither system worked as well as I'd like. Despite several settings, often wouldn't trigger with a wet screen.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Eh? AUTOMATIC wipers should not need any switches pressed. I'd expect them to just start working when it rained.

So what DID they do?!

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

You squirt your shower from your bathroom window onto your car! Pikey is as pikey does.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Dave Plowman (News) submitted this idea :

My car has them, they work perfectly and are inhibited if you restart the engine. The switch has to be reset to put them back on to auto.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I meant to say the auto, slow and fast speeds all have to be reset, on restarting the engine - otherwise no movement of the blades until.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I'd swap the auto feature for a simple push to wipe one.

My current car combines the "auto on/off" with a single wipe, which is

****ing annoying. Luckily a quick pull to wash doesn't have time to fire the washer but does a wipe ...

The auto lights are weird too ,,.

Reply to
Jethro_uk