Automatic windscreen wipers and frost

Very first car I had with this did too - a Rover P6. It wasn't electronic, but pneumatic. Allowed infinite variation between min and max.

Problem is you spend more time fiddling with it to try and get it just right as using a single wipe type. Hence, I'd guess the invention of the rain sense types.

It's possible they work very well with a brand new screen. Both my cars fitted with it were used, so didn't have 100% perfect screens.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Really? How does it manage to crack, then?

I can see that - where both maximum resistance to impact and it retaining strength if broken is needed. But don't think this applies to car screens.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

A washing machine is not the same as your hands. Machines need hotter water as they can't scrub. For example I need 70C water for my dishwasher. Nobody needs that for hand washing dishes.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

If you've dribbled urine on your fingers, then a rinse will do.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

If it's a physical locking switch like most cars, then that would be impossible. If it's a momentary switch to cycle through the options etc, then resetting it is probably easier. My rear demister works in the same way.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Sharp edges of stones usually.

It does actually.

Reply to
grjw

Surely that's adjustable?

And do they have two brightnesses, where you turn on sides, then dips?

If it's bright daylight, the fog isn't thick enough to see lights. What distance of visibility do you have at that point?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Then turn it off before entering, there's probably a warning sign on the wash.

Silly to make something car wash proof and ruin its everyday use.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I've had it on two cars, and both were obvious that they were there. A twist switch on the wiper stalk.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Some glass seems to be indestructible on the large surface, but if you tap the corner of it (not in a frame), it falls to bits.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Must have imagined sliding the 2" of snow off the screen last week then letting the auto wipers deal with it once the sensor saw water blobs instead of snow.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Not when it goes off.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Can't really think why not, other than the slight risk that as laminated will break into shards that may detach from the plastic layer it poses a bigger risk than the (still piggin' sharp) bits that toughened fails to.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Snow just puts a strain on the motor. The problem is when the rubber is frozen to the screen.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

If it is I've not found it.

Fairly new car so has DLRs. The DLRs are brighter than the sides and come on when you switch the lights to "off" or "auto" with a high light level. With low light level the DLRs are switched off and headlights on, but in the state they where last used, (dipped/main). Being rural if I arrive home at night I'll be on main beam...

The side light position switches the DLRs off and sidelights on.

I've not driven in daylight fog since the occasion that the damn thing silently switched the lights off(*). Well switched to DLRs at the front but switched the rear lights and rear fogs off. IIRC visibilty was such that dipped head lights and rear lights should have been on. This was on a quiet motorway, rear fogs a good idea, so the wazzocks doing 70 plus have as much chance as possible of seeing me... (yes I do know how to switch them off and do so when visibilty is reasonable and/or there is some one following me).

(*) Of course now I know it might silently switch things off I may well select "manual".

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Well clearing the snow from the screen last week they came on automagically when I pushed the snow off and water blobs were left.

They would, see the comment about them coming on with a fly splatted screen...

I think her indoors Fiesta had a sort of "learning" intermittent. With the switch in "intermittent" it remembered the interval between manual uses of the single wipe.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

How absurd that personal preference for lighting is not included. What's the chances of its setting being anything like what you want?

If I get a car with DRLs, the first thing I'll do is disable them. Shining bright lights at people when it's broad daylight is beyond stupid. It does not make you more visible, it just distracts people.

What distance of visibility did you have for unlit objects?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

In message , Dave Liquorice writes

Our Fiesta has an adjustable setting on the control stalk but no automatics of any sort.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I remember a montego having something like that at the end of the 80s.

Reply to
Clive George