Automatic windscreen wipers and frost

Because cold water is cold water no matter how small a part of the body it touches or for how short a time - it's still bloody cold if the temperature outside is below freezing (as it would be for this thread to be relevant) and therefore the water coming out of the tap is probably not much warmer (maybe 4-8 deg C).

Reply to
NY

Oh you poor little snowflake.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Odd. Most people many many years ago found out that hot water aids the cleaning process.

Even you may have noticed your washing machine doesn't use cold water.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It doesn't. Soap simply aids the wetting of your skin. This functions at any temperature.

The Germans realised it's not required at all. Even modern UK washing powder does not need hot water, just 30C.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Mine does, and washes stuff fine.

Reply to
grjw

If you get 30C out of your cold tap I'd get a man in to fix it. But if it is that hot, the bugs in it would account for your brain malfunction.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

My Fiat Scudo does.

Reply to
ARW

Ingenuity from the ITALIANS?!?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

The auto wipers work well on my car, variable sensitivity to rain and go from a single wipe as required to double speed flat out. Trouble is the "single wipe as required" can happen on a lightly fly splatted windscreen converting it from one can be seen through to one with smeared fly splat that isn't... The auto doesn't cancel when you switch off, but static snow frost doesn't trigger 'em. The heated windscreen means that the blades aren't still frozen to the screen by the time the rain sensor "sees water" and triggers a wipe. With frost and light snow it's almost a fully automatic self clear.

Mine come on a little before I'd think, "hum ought to turn the lights on", so they stay in auto, unless the hill fog is getting a bit thick and I switch dipped off and just use the front fogs. Far less glare, not much reach but then visibilty will be down to only a few tens of yards anyway.

What they will do is switch off in bright daylight fog! Ok there is a light on the instrument panel but if you're concentrating on what's outside. I wish it would "bong" when ever it changes the state of an indicator lamp. Ideally "bong" for pay attention and "bing" for happy.

It's not as if it has a shortage of bongs. It'll use them with gay abandon if the car is moving and your seatbelt isn't fastened, a door is open and engine running and/or lights left on.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Screen exposed to clear skies and it will be a lot colder than 0C, could well be 10 C or more below what ever the air tempertaure is. So air temp of -10, wndscreen -20 or lower.

Laminated windscreens are pretty damn tough but I'd still not throw near boiling water over one. Far easier to start the engine, press "defrost". By the time the side windows have been squirted and cleared even frozen on snow will just slide off the heated front and rear screens. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

With simple "hygiene" hand washing most of the cleaning comes from the physical actions rather than water temperature or soap. Dibbling you finger tips under tap for 3 seconds sans soap does SFA. But that's all many people do in response to "now wash your hands".

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

NOt really, even with electrically heated ones.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Our Fiesta is good but certainly not instant. Misting clears over about

1/4 mile. Rarely frosted as it is garaged at home.
Reply to
Tim Lamb

More likely a wiring fault.

Reply to
ARW

I've had two different makes with rain sensing wipers. Both I'd guess with Bosch systems being German cars.

Neither works perfectly in town. Too much a build up of rain on the screen before they wipe. I end up using the single wipe function they both have.

Are you certain your works after switching off the engine? If it is always 'ready' if the stalk is left in the auto position, it would come on when say using a car wash. Which might just remove the wipers.

Of course even the earlier intermittent wipe isn't perfect. Needs a different interval depending on how light the rain is.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Really? Far easier to crack than the older toughened type. Difference is they don't shatter.

You'd not make a table top out of laminated.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Really!?

Laminated Glass | Custom Cut Safety Glass | Order Online

Rating: 5 - ?20 reviews A glass table top made from laminated glass for example, will be a clear choice to avoid flying glass in the event of breakage. It is also used in a wide variety of ...

Reply to
Bod

one car I owned allowed me to vary the interval. It might have been a SEAT.

Reply to
charles

There is a big difference between the laminated screens in cars and laminated glass you buy in sheets.

Car stuff is toughened and then laminated.

Laminated glass is float glass laminated and is not toughened at all. If it were toughened you couldn't cut it to size.

There is nothing to stop you using toughened laminated glass for furniture other than the cost. You will find that toughened laminated glass is used in places like escalators if you look.

Reply to
dennis

Many cars allow that, most owners never read the manual to know how.

On a corsa you hold the stalk down for as long as you want between wipes and it remembers that. Easy if you know how.

Reply to
dennis